Joe Gutierrez | CSUSB Office of Strategic Communication | (951) 236-4522 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Tony Thurmond, California state superintendent of public instruction, has been added to the list of high-powered speakers who will address the 2021 Educational Leadership Summit, set for Tuesday, Nov. 16. Thurmond will deliver the afternoon keynote address.
Registration is currently open for the summit, the preeminent event in the Inland Empire that brings together experts and innovators in education from across the country.
“Navigating K-12 Education in the Midst of Uncertainties,” is set to take place from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 16, at the DoubleTree Hotel in San Bernardino.
The daylong event will provide a learning-rich environment incorporating prominent speakers. Joining Thurmond are morning keynote speaker Judy White, former Riverside County schools superintendent, and Brian McDaniel, 2018 California Teacher of the Year and a CSUSB alumnus.
Also scheduled to speak are Carlos Ayala, CEO of Growing Inland Achievement; Enrique Murillo Jr., CSUSB professor of education and founder and executive director of the Latino Education and Advocacy Days (LEAD) Project; Jackie Maner, principal of Del Vallejo Leadership and STEAM Academy, San Bernardino City Unified School District; state senators Connie M. Leyva and Rosilicie Ochoa Bogh; Ted Alejandre, San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools; and Jessica Nerren, CSUSB communication studies faculty member and owner of Felten Media Services.
Longtime area educators Ernest Garcia, dean emeritus of the CSUSB College of Education, and Margaret Hill, CSUSB alumna ’80 and San Bernardino City Unified School District board member, will be honored during a lunchtime program.
Also planned are workshops and activities aimed at equipping attendees with the latest insights, trends and tips to make a difference in their classrooms, schools, districts, communities and beyond.
Space is limited; cost is a suggested donation of $50, which includes a continental breakfast and lunch, as well as a sponsor gift bag and access to all the presentations. To register online, go to the Educational Leadership Summit registration webpage.
The event schedule:
- 8 a.m., Event Check-In
- 8-9 a.m., Buffet Breakfast
- 9-9:10 a.m., Event Kick-Off: CSUSB College of Education Dean Chinaka DomNwachukwu
- 9:10-9:15 a.m., Welcome Remarks: CSUSB President Tomás Morales
- 9:15 -9:20 a.m., Welcome Remarks: CSUSB Provost Shari McMahan
- 9:20-9:40 a.m., Entertainment from comedian and Emmy-winning producer Ron G
- 9:40-10:05 a.m., Morning Keynote Speaker: Judy White, “Leading the schools of the Inland Empire for a Successful Future High School Graduation and Access to College and Career”
- 10:05-10:30 a.m. Presentation: Carlos Ayala, “State of Latino and African American Education in the Inland Empire”
- 10:30-10:50 a.m.: Presentation: Wil Greer, “Creating Equity and Excellence for African American Students at the District Office Level: Notes from the Field
- 10:50-11 a.m., Break
- 11-11:20 a.m., Presentation: Jackie Maner, “School Site Administration and Leadership in the Midst of Political and Social Divide”
- 11:20-11:50 a.m., Presentation: Enrique Murillo Jr.: “Teaching with Academic Freedom from K -12 to college classroom: A Response to the Politicizing of Critical Race Theory”
- 11:50 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Lunch and Awards Presentation
- 1:30-2 p.m., Afternoon Keynote Speaker: Tony Thurmond, “Navigating K-12 Education in the Midst of Uncertainties: Vision for Education in the State of California”
- 2-2:40 p.m.: Panel discussion: “The future of Education in the Inland Empire and the State of California: Challenges and Prospects,” with state Sen. Connie Leyva (Senate Education Committee chair) and state Sen. Rosilicie Ochoa Bogh (Senate Education Committee member). The discussion will be facilitated by Ted Alejandre, San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools.
- 2:40-3 p.m.: Presentation: SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union, “Helping Your Team Improve their Financial Wellness in the Face of Uncertainty
- 3-3:20 p.m. Presentation: Brian McDaniel, “Effective Teaching and Learning in the Midst of Uncertainties”
- 3:20 - 3:40p.m., Presentation: Jessica Nerren, “Effective Leadership in Closing the Opportunity Gap for Students with Special Needs”
- 3:40-3:45 p.m.: Closing Remarks, CSUSB College of Education Dean Chinaka DomNwachukwu
For more information, visit the Educational Leadership Summit 2021 webpage.