In celebration of Native American Heritage Month, this November, Cal State San Bernardino will hold a number of events to honor and celebrate Native American culture, traditions and contributions. This year’s theme echoes last year’s: “Decolonizing Across Communities.”
“Each November, CSUSB celebrates Native American Heritage Month with thoughtful, insightful and representative activities, events and guest speakers structured to provide a safe place for our Native American students, staff, faculty and surrounding communities to continue to have their voices heard and perspectives felt across campus,” says the CSUSB Native American Heritage website.
The kickoff event is set for Wednesday, Nov. 3, and will feature CSUSB alumnus and state Assemblymember James Ramos ’02, the first California-born Native American elected to the state Assembly who represents the 40th Assembly District.
This year’s events include:
- Nov. 2: Indigenous Book Club Meeting, 3-4 p.m., on Zoom, featuring the graphic novel “Tales of the Mighty Code Talkers.” Zoom ID: 845 6060 1990.
- Nov. 3: Native American Heritage Month Kickoff, noon-1:30 p.m., on Zoom. Hear from Assemblymember Ramos and the CSUSB Native community. Register for the event at the Native American Heritage Month Kickoff registration page.
- Nov. 4: Indigenous Healing Circle, noon-1 p.m., at the Palm Desert Campus (RG-205). The First Peoples’ Center has partnered with the RSBCIHI, Native American Resource Center, to bring back our Indigenous Healing Circle. This event is meant to enhance the knowledge of healing practices and experience a talking circle environment. This series will be facilitated by our community Prevention Educators.
- Nov. 10: Films & Fry Bread, 6-8 p.m., San Bernardino campus (SMSU Theater – Room 107) and the Palm Desert Campus (RG-303). We honor our veterans and learn about America’s original code talkers of World War I. We will watch “Choctaw Codetalkers of WWI.” The film will be followed by a discussion at both sites. Pre-register for the event.
- Nov 15: ROC YOUR MOCS, noon-1 p.m., CSUSB Spirit Letters (between the SMSU and CGI). Take a photo with the #rocyourmocs campaign and talk with the Native community.
- Nov. 16: Indigenous Book Club Meeting, 3-4 p.m., on Zoom, featuring the graphic novel “Tales of the Mighty Code Talkers.” Zoom ID: 845 6060 1990.
- Nov. 16: Native American Alumni Virtual Mixer, 6-7 p.m., on Zoom. Join this virtual Native American Alumni Mixer to chat and network with fellow Coyotes! Register for the event at the Alumni Relations website.
- Nov. 17: Native Higher Education Series featuring Daisy Ocampo, noon-1 p.m., on Zoom. Join the First Peoples’ Center and Daisy Ocampo, assistant professor of history, as she shares more about her experience navigating higher education. Register for the event at the Natives in Higher Education: Dr. Daisy Ocampo registration page.
- Nov. 30: Indigenous Book Club Meeting, 3-4 p.m., on Zoom, featuring the graphic novel “Tales of the Mighty Code Talkers.” Zoom ID: 845 6060 1990.
For more information, visit the CSUSB Native American Heritage Month website.