Cal State San Bernardino has been listed among the best universities in the western region, according to the U.S. News & World Report 2022 rankings of top colleges and universities.
CSUSB ranked in the top 20 in three categories for regional universities in the West:
- No. 13 for Social Mobility;
- No. 16 for Top Public Schools; and
- No. 18 for Best Value.
“While it’s always an honor to be recognized, it is particularly special to make the top 20 in such significant categories – we value the importance of social mobility and providing an excellent education at an affordable price,” said CSUSB President Tomás D. Morales. “This recognition goes to all the extraordinary faculty and staff who help make this possible.”
The university was also listed at No. 37 in the Best Regional Universities in the West category as well as No. 92 for the Best Undergraduate Engineering program in the nation from an institution that does not offer doctorate degrees.
U.S. News & World Report rankings are considered one of the most influential and anticipated recognitions for colleges and universities that provide a full range of undergraduate and master’s degree programs throughout the United States.
The U.S. News & World Report rankings are based on several key measures of quality that include:
- Outcomes such as retention and graduation rates, graduating students who received federal Pell Grants;
- Faculty resources, such as class size, faculty salary, the proportion of full-time faculty with the highest degree in their fields, student faculty ratio, and the proportion of faculty who are full time;
- Expert opinion such as surveys of presidents, provosts and deans of admissions, peer assessments and high school counselor assessments;
- Financial resources such as spending per student;
- Student excellence such as standardized tests and high school standing; and
- Alumni giving.
The West region includes institutions from 15 states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
The U.S. News & World Report rankings will be listed in the 2022 Best Colleges guidebook, which will be released in October. The rankings are also available at the U.S. News & World Report website.