Joe Gutierrez Office of Strategic Communication (909) 537-5007 firstname.lastname@example.org
About 1,300 Cal State San Bernardino students moved into campus housing on Sunday, Sept. 15, just days away from the first day of classes for the 2019-20 academic year.
“Move-In Day” officially kicked off Welcome Week 2019 for students who will make the university’s residence halls and apartments their home for the year. Classes for the fall quarter begin Thursday, Sept. 19.
First-year students moved into Coyote Village, which features study spaces, a large multi-purpose room and is home to two faculty-in-residence and the university’s Honors Program. Returning students will also be moving into the university’s Serrano and Arrowhead villages on campus as well as into University Village, an apartment-style complex across the street on Northpark Boulevard.
Sunday featured various activities for the students and volunteers including a Faculty-in-Residence, Parent and Family Welcome at 2 p.m., and a meeting with resident assistants from 2:30-5 p.m. And students and their families were also invited to participate the Mexican Independence Day celebration at the patio area of the university’s Meeting Center (formerly known as the commons).
CSUSB joined with university’s Latino Education & Advocacy Days project, Associated Students, Inc. and the Mexican Consulate in San Bernardino to host the celebration, which featured the traditional ringing of a bell and “El Grito,” the cry for patriotism. The free event is the consulate’s official celebration of Mexican Independence Day for the Inland area.
The week’s activities include:
Monday, Sept. 16
- 5-7 p.m. – My Pack: Community Meetings for Coyote and Serrano Village residents to meet fellow members of the pack and learn about the village community and expectations. The meeting will be held at Coyote and Serrano Villages.
- 8-10 p.m. – Howl Your Heart Out at the Coyote Village multi-purpose room. A karaoke night with fellow Yoties! Sing, dance, and battle your heart out with your friends and even make some new ones while kicking off Welcome Week!
Tuesday, Sept. 17
- 3:30-6:30 p.m. – Pool Paw-Ty at the University Village Pool. Dive into some fun! Come swim, dance and chill out while listening to some great music with friends and show some Yotie pride.
Wednesday, Sept. 18
- 2 p.m. – Interested in making an impact in your community? Join the Residence Halls Association (RHA) to learn how you can get involved and represent your village. Learn about your village’s council elections while enjoying a frozen treat and meeting new people! Residents at Arrowhead Village meet at village square; University Village meet at University Village center multi-purpose room; Serrano and Coyote Village meet at Coyote Village multi-purpose room.
- 4-6 p.m. – My Pack: Residential Apartment Meeting for Arrowhead and University Village residents, come meet your fellow pack and learn about your den through the eyes of your Resident Assistant (RA). Meet at Arrowhead and University Villages on the resident’s floor.
- 7-7:30 p.m. – Fire Drill at Coyote and University Villages. Coyotes want to ensure your safety throughout the year! During this time we will hold one of two required fire drills of the year. It is MANDATORY to evacuate any time a fire alarm sounds.
- 7:30-8 p.m. – Fire Drill at Serrano and Arrowhead Villages. Coyotes want to ensure your safety throughout the year! During this time we will hold one of our two required fire drills of the year. It is MANDATORY to evacuate any time a fire alarm sounds.
- 8-10 p.m. – Get Your Game On! Join fellow Yoties to enjoy a blast from the past! Residents will be able to play games like Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart in the Game Truck with friends and even make new ones with some well-known game consoles.
Thursday, Sept. 19 (start for the
- 9-10 a.m. – Breakfast at Cody’s: Come enjoy a delicious meal before tackling the first day of classes. Hosted by the Department of Housing and Residential Education’s Academic Mentors. The event will be held at Serrano Village Square and Coyote Village Courtyard.
Friday, Sept. 20
- 6-8 p.m. – Splatter Beat Coyotes! Finish the week by jamming out and getting splattered! Don’t forget to wear clothes that don’t matter! The first 100 students in attendance will receive a free T-shirt. The event will be held at the Serrano Village Quad.