“Connecting at the Intersections” is the theme of this year’s celebrations for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer+ (LGBTQ+) Hxstory Month. Cal State San Bernardino has been holding a series of programs to celebrate the community and its contributions to society.
The first LGBTQ+ Hxstory month was organized in October of 1994 by Rodney Wilson and Kevin Jennings, who are members of the Gay and Lesbian Education Network (GLSEN). They selected October because public schools are in session and existing traditions, such as Coming Out Day (October 11), occur that month. Gay and Lesbian History Month was endorsed by GLAAD, the Human Rights Campaign, the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the National Education Association, and other national organizations. In 2006 Equality Forum assumed responsibility for providing content, promotion and resources for LGBT History Month.
To kick off the series, the campus’ LGBTQ+ Faculty, Staff and Student Association hosted a Hxstory Month Trivia during Coyote Hour on Oct. 1. All events are free and open to the public.
Upcoming events commemorating LGBTQ Hxstory Month include:
- October 19, 6-7:30 p.m. – The LGBTQ+FSSA & The QTRC will host a panel with the Black Bisexual and Pansexual community members
- October 26, 1-2 p.m. – Megan Carroll, CSUSB professor, and the QTRC will host ACE 101, a program around dispelling myths about Asexuality and celebrating the “A” in LGBTQIA+
Events throughout the month also included:
- October 1-15 – The Queer and Transgender Resource Center (QTRC) along with Associated Students Inc. highlighted student stories and art through social media as part of The Coyote Series
- October 1 – The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer+ Faculty Staff and Student Association hosted a Hxstory Trivia
- October 8 – The Association of Latinx Faculty, Staff, and Students & The QTRC hosted a presentation of Latinx & LGBTQ+ in the Media
- October 12 – The QTRC hosted The Coming Out Monologues. A space for people to come share about coming into their identities of sexual and romantic orientation
- October 13 – The QTRC hosted a social hour with jackbox games called GAYME DAY!
For more information about the national month, visit the LGBTQ+ Hxstory Website.