CSU Immunization Requirements

Immunization requirements are not admission requirements, but are required of students as conditions of enrollment in the CSU.  Entering CSU students are required to present proof of the following immunizations to the CSU campuses they will be attending before the beginning of their first term of enrollment.  Campus implementation of the required immunizations and screenings shall include provisions for exemptions based on medical considerations only.

Required Immunizations and Screenings
A. Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)
B. Hepatitis B (Hep B) *For all first-time enrollees 18 years and younger, pursuant to
     Section 120390.5 of the California State Health and Safety Code.
C. Varicella (Chickenpox)
D. Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap)
E. Meningococcal Disease (Serogroups A, C, Y, W-135)
F. Tuberculosis Screening/Risk Assessment (TB)
In addition to these required vaccines and screenings, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and California Department of Public Health (CDPH) strongly recommends several additional vaccinations. Vaccinations, screening requirements, recommendations, and immunization schedules are on the Office of the Chancellor’s website.

Recommended Immunizations and Screenings
(Students are strongly encouraged to discuss with their provider.)
A. Hepatitis A (Hep A)
B. Hepatitis B (Hep B) *Recommended for all students 19 years and older.
C. Human papillomavirus (HPV)
D. Influenza (Flu)
E. Meningococcal B (Meningitis B)
F.  Pneumococcal
G. Poliovirus (Polio)
Your MyCoyote account will be updated and a hold will be placed if your proof of immunization has not been received by the Student Health Center.

To clear a hold you can mail, fax, or deliver your immunization records in person to the Student Health Center. Holds will be cleared within 24 hours and cannot be cleared by email. Federal regulations (HIPAA) prohibit accepting personal, confidential, medical, or immunization documentation through E-mail. Medical records can only be accepted by FAX (909) 537-7027, mail, or in person. Currently enrolled students may also upload their immunization records via the Coyote Health Portal. Instructions can be found on the Welcome page of the portal.

For questions please call the Student Health Center at:  (909) 537-5241.

There are two types of registration holds:  (1) "grace period", and (2) "out-of-compliance".  The "grace period" hold will not prevent you from registering for your classes.  The "out-of-compliance" hold may appear on your account prior to the second quarter registration process if you have not cleared your hold(s), and will prevent you from registering for your classes.

We offer the following vaccinations:

  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • MMR (Measles/ Mumps/ Rubella)
  • Tetanus - booster
  • Meningitis
  • Flu shots

As a result of state legislation, the Chancellor has issued an executive order requiring all first time enrollees who are 18 years or younger to present proof of immunization against the Hepatitis B virus.

As of Fall 2000, any student 18 years or younger are required to provide proof of Hepatitis B immunization.

Students must begin the Hepatitis B series by the end of their first quarter at CSUSB in order to register for subsequent quarters.

There are 3 doses (injections) to complete the series. They are given at zero, one and sixth month intervals.

There is a charge for the Hepatitis B vaccines for students over 18 years of age. Please call the Health Center for updated prices at (909) 537-5241. Students with health insurance are encouraged to call their provider to see if they can get the injections for a lower fee. Students that are under the age of 18 with no insurance should call the Student Health Center for a special fee program. NOTE: Students under the age of 18 will also need Parental Consent (see the forms section to download Consent for Medical Treatment of a minor) in order to receive this vaccine.

Hand deliver, mail or fax to 909 537-7027 a copy of your immunization records to the Student Health Center to clear the registration hold. Please include Student ID# and Date of Birth on all documents faxed or mailed.

Measles and Rubella

t's a mandate from the Chancellor's office of California State University implemented to reduce the likelihood of an outbreak of Rubeola and Rubella on CSU campuses. It became effective Fall Quarter, 1986

Students must submit an immunization record stating that they received a Rubella (German measles) and Rubeola (measles) vaccine after 15 months of age and after January 1, 1968. Prior to 1968 the vaccine did not provide adequate immunity.

You must hand deliver, mail, or fax your immunization records to the Student Health Center. Make sure your Coyote ID# and Date of Birth are on all records! Fax: 909 537 7027.

Students may receive a temporary clearance providing time to obtain/find the immunization record. This will allow the student to register for classes. If the hold is not cleared permanently, the hold will be replaced for the following quarter. Please Note: TEMPORARY CLEARANCES ARE ONLY GIVEN ONCE!

Special clinics along with appointments for immunizations are offered. Please call the Health Center for updated clinic times or to be scheduled for an appointment.

YES, all students must fulfill this requirement unless they were born before January 1, 1957, have a special medical condition or other exemption. If there are still questions please call for additional information. NOTE: If a student has an exemption and an outbreak situation occurs on campus, please be advised that they will be barred from attending classes for their protection and to protect the campus community.

NOTE: Certain majors may also require Vaccines and/or Immunity regardless of age.

Meningococcal Meningitis

Meningitis is rare. But when it strikes, this potentially fatal bacterial disease can lead to swelling of fluid surrounding the brain and spinal column as well as severe and permanent disabilities, such as hearing loss, brain damage, seizures, limb amputation and even death. The State of California enacted legislation that requires all students who enroll at the California State University for on-campus housing to be provided information related to meningococcal disease and vaccination.

  •  | Completion of this form is required by all students living in the dorms. Failure to complete and submit this form to the Housing & Residential Life Office will result in a HOLD placed on your registration and places your Housing Status in danger.
  •  | You must have your parents or legal guardian sign this form if you are under 18 years of age.

Meningococcal meningitis is spread through the air via respiratory secretions or close contact with an infected person. This can include coughing, sneezing, kissing or sharing items like utensils, cigarettes and drinking glasses.

Symptoms of meningococcal meningitis often resemble the flu and can include high fever, severe headache, stiff neck, rash, nausea, vomiting, lethargy and confusion.

Certain college students, particularly freshmen who live in dormitories or residence halls, have been found to have an increased risk for meningococcal meningitis. Other undergraduates can also consider vaccination to reduce their risk for the disease.

Yes. A safe and effective vaccine is available to protect against four of the five most common strains of the disease. The vaccine provides protection for approximately three to five years. As with any vaccine, vaccination against meningitis may not protect 100 percent of all susceptible individuals. Currently, the Student Health Center does offer the meningitis vaccine. Call for an appointment and for current prices.

A quadrivalent meningococcal vaccine is available against four of the most common strains of N. meningitides in the United States (A, C, Y, W135). The vaccine can be used in adults and children older than two years of age and is 85 to 100 percent effective in preventing serogroups A and C of meningitis in older children and adults. The vaccine is often used to control serotype C meningococcal disease outbreaks and for pre-exposure among certain high-risk groups (e.g., immunosuppressed, travelers).

As of October 20, 1999, Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that undergraduate college students, particularly freshmen who live in or plan to live in dormitories or residence halls, receive information about meningococcal meningitis and the benefits of vaccination. Freshmen and other undergraduates who wish to reduce their risk for disease should be provided access to the vaccine.

As of January 2011, Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends that persons aged 21 years or younger should have a dose of meningococcal vaccine not more than 5 years before enrollment. If the primary dose was administered before the 16th birthday, a booster dose should be administered before enrolling in college. The booster dose can be administered anytime after the 16th birthday to ensure that the booster is provided. The minimum interval between doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccine is 8 weeks.

In addition, The Center for Disease Control has recently updated their General Recommendations on Immunization. This information is available from the Center for Disease Control online.

To learn more about meningitis and the vaccine, visit the Student Health Center, or call for an appointment at (909) 537-5241. You can also visit the websites of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the American College Health Association.