Main Content Region

Frequently Asked Questions


Student Financial Services is keeping this page up to date with frequently asked questions during our remote operations.  Please email with any questions you have and we are happy to help!

Instructional FAQs

How can I make a payment?

Students are strongly encouraged to make payments online through their student portal to avoid any delays.  Student Financial Services has temporarily suspended taking any in-person payments.  Other payment methods are accepted.

How do I contact your office?

In order to serve you best, please email

What can I do if I or my family have experienced a change in my financial situation?

Students who have experienced a significant change in their household financial situation are strongly encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid or Student Financial Services to discuss additional support alternatives.  Both offices are providing services to students from off-campus.  Please do not come to campus for service, instead, contact the office for direct service or an appointment.

Students who have experienced a significant change in their household financial situation are strongly encouraged to contact the Office of Financial Aid or Student Financial Services to discuss additional support alternatives.  Both offices are providing services to students from off-campus.  Please do not come to campus for service, instead, contact the office for direct service or an appointment.

For grant and loan questions, contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships:

For billing and payment questions, contact the Office of Student Financial Services:

How do I submit forms while your office is working remotely?

Please scan and email all forms to for processing.  Due to the reduced number of staff on campus, please expect delays for any forms that are submitted via US Mail and Fax.  Student Financial Services will not be receiving any forms in-person at this time.

I missed the on-campus pickup time for my paycheck, can I come to campus another time to pick it up?

In an effort to ensure social distancing, Student Financial Services will only provide arrangements for one in-person pickup time per each scheduled payday.  This is due to the new campus operations implemented by CSUSB to respond to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.  All paychecks that are not picked up in-person on the scheduled payday during the times advertised via email will be mailed to the mailing address we have on file.  Please keep an eye out for your paycheck in the mail. 

Do I need to send an email each month to authorize my paycheck to be mailed?

No, there is no need to email us again.  We will continue to mail your paycheck home for as long as the current campus operations related to COVID-19 remain in place.   

How do I authorize you to mail my paycheck home?

Please email your authorization to and include your Coyote ID Number and Full Name in the email message.  Faculty, Staff, and Students that wish to have their paychecks mailed are required to update their mailing address. 

To update your mailing address, please follow the steps below:

  1. Log in to
  2. Click on the “My Personal Information” tile 
  3. Click on “Home and Mailing Address” tile 
  4. Review and click “edit” if you need to update your mailing address or click add a new address to create a mailing address.

Can I add, edit or delete my Direct Deposit information?

The ability for students to edit or add their direct deposit information in their student center has temporarily been suspended.  At this time, students may contact Student Financial Services by email at to delete/remove their direct deposit information only.  Students who have their Direct Deposit deleted will automatically receive paper checks for any subsequent refunds as a result of a credit on their student account.  Student Financial Services will not be able to change/update the information currently provided. 

For security reasons, students should never include bank account information in any email correspondence sent to CSUSB.  The estimated time that direct deposit information can be added/edited has not been determined at this time.  This website will be updated when that information is available.

Popular Student Financial Services Questions

When is tuition due?

View your student account to see your specific due dates for Tuition and Fees.   Dues dates for all terms are also found on our website: tuition due dates.  

Important: If you are a financial aid recipient you are only responsible for the portion that is not covered (if any amount remains) by your assigned due date.

What is prepayment?

After the open enrollment has closed, students who are not enrolled in the current term or were dropped due to non-payment will have a prepayment hold placed on their account.  In order to release the hold, make a prepayment online.  Please allow up-to 30 minutes for your hold to be released after making a prepayment.

You are required to pay all of your tuition and fees in advance prior to enrolling.  Prepayment holds only pertain to the term for which it states and will not prevent enrollment for any other term.  

If you choose not to pay online, please view the payment methods currently available.  

What is direct deposit and how do I enroll?

How To Enroll In Direct Deposit

How it Works

When financial aid disburses to a student, in most cases, it posts like any other "payment" to their CSUSB student account.  Most financial aid pays all fees due including tuition, campus fees, housing, meals and other qualifying charges. When a student is enrolled in Direct Deposit, any remaining credit is then sent as a direct deposit directly into a student's bank account.  In most cases, deposited funds are posted to a student's bank account within three business days. 

If for any reason a student's bank account changes or is closed, the student is responsible for canceling or updating the direct deposit information on file. Failure to do so may cause a delay in processing the refund.

Students who have overpaid or dropped courses and need to request a refund may also use this direct deposit feature. Simply enroll in direct deposit prior to submitting a Refund Request Form.

Important Note

At the beginning of each term, or when you anticipate receiving a refund, please verify that your bank account information is correct. If you find the information is incorrect or outdated, please make any necessary changes.  All changes are effective immediately for future refunds.  Direct Deposit is not available to parents receiving refunds for Federal PLUS Loans and will be issued by check.

Direct Deposit Requirements

  1. The student must have access to their Student Center on myCoyote.
  2. The student must have an open and valid checking/savings account.

When will I receive my financial aid money?

Financial Aid and Scholarships begins disbursing financial aid ten calendar days before a term begins.  Student Financial Services post the financial aid as payment and begin refunding students with a financial aid credit on their account eight or nine days prior to the term beginning.  Student Financial Services will continue to process refunds throughout the term, typically on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of each week.

Please note that refunds are issued for credits currently on a student's account.  If additional charges are applied to the account or if financial aid is reduced, students will be responsible for this owing balance.  Students are encouraged to View Their Student Account regularly.  Especially if you make enrollment changes.

Is there a payment plan available to pay my tuition and/or housing?

Yes, in most cases.  Please visit: Installment Payment Plan for details about the payment plans available.

What is Student Financial Services responsible for?

Student Financial Services is the central location for student account inquiries and payments.  We provide information related to payments, refunds, deadlines and general questions about your student account.

Student Financial Services is responsible for the disbursement of financial aid, scholarship and over-payment refunds.  We provide Emergency Loans (for qualified students) and Installment Payment Plans.  In addition, SFS bills Third Party Vendors (employers, sponsored students) for tuition and fees, issues the 1098-T tax form and oversees the Federal Perkins Loan program. 

Student Financial Services accepts payments for; tuition and fees, parking citations, ID cards, transcripts, graduation checks, etc.  Other responsibilities include distribution of payroll warrants and receipt of departmental deposits.

Why do I have a past due account hold?

A past due account hold is placed when a student has a financial obligation to the University that is considered delinquent.  A student will not be able to make any enrollment changes until this hold has been released. 

To release the hold, View Your Student Account and Make a Payment Online.  Please allow 30 minutes for your registration hold to be released from your account after making a payment online.  If your hold is not released in 30 minutes or if you have additional questions regarding your past due balance, please email or call 909.537.5162 to assist you further.

My financial aid doesn't cover all of my charges, how can I find how much I owe?

For help to determine how much you owe, view the How-To Guide: View Your Student Account

This online guide will provide information on how to access all your student account information including viewing your Account Activity (owing balance), Amount due and due dates, Payments posted to your student account, and Pending Financial Aid.

Where can I get a copy of my 1098T?

The Univeristy currently uses ECSI to create and send the 1098T tax forms.  The forms are not available on campus.  For more information please vist the following: 1098T forms.

How do I appeal charges?

To appeal charges you will need to submit an Appeal Application for Reversal of Tuition.  Please note; you must be withdrawn from the term and/or course for which you are appealing.  For more information on refund policies please visit the following; refund policies.

Where do I make payments?

CSUSB recommends that you make all domestic and international payments online.  It's convenient, secure, and can be done 24/7.  Also, if you are using Electronic Check (eCheck) there aren't any convenience fees! 

Please visit Payment Methods to view all other payment methods available.

General Student Financial Services Questions

I have an employer that pays for my tuition, who do I notify?

Student Financial Services will need an authorization from your employer to bill accordingly.  For more information on what is needed and how Student Finencial Services can support you, please visit: Sponsored Billing.

How can I get an Emergency Loan?

For your convenience, please visit Emergency Loans for information and to download the application.  Please make sure the application is completed in it's entirety.  Partially completed forms will not be accepted. You may email your completed Emergency Loan Application to

Why do I still have a balance on my account if I dropped classes before census?

Students must drop all courses before the term begins in order to receive a full refund for the term.  Students who drop courses after the term begins will be responsible for paying a portion of the tuition and fees.  Tuition and fees are processed each night and students should View Their Student Account the following day they dropped classes to determine what charges are due.   

How much is housing?

Housing charges can be found on the Housing and Residential Education website on the FAQ page.

Can my hold be lifted if I set up payment arrangements because I need to register for the next quarter?

All outstanding Tuition Fees must be paid in full before the hold can be lifted.

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) exists to protect your right to confidentiality and limit our ability to release information about financial records. In compliance with the Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, CSU, San Bernardino is prohibited from providing certain information from your student record to a third party, such as grades, billing, tuition and fee assessments, financial aid and other student record information. This restriction applies, but is not limited, to your parents, your spouse, or a sponsor. For more information please visit our FERPA page.

I overpaid and now I have a credit on my account. Can I get a refund?

Yes, a Refund Request Form may be submitted to Student Financial Services. Refunds are typically processed within 5-7 business days; refunds for check payments can take 4-5 weeks.  A $25.00 processing fee may be assessed.  Students may also elect to receive their refunds through direct deposit.  Simply enroll in direct deposit via MyCoyote prior to submitting a Refund Request Form.

Can I return financial aid monies?

Yes, you have 120 days from the day we process the excess funds to you to return any unwanted monies.  Any returned financial aid may result in an owing balance on your student account.  Please contact Financial Aid and Scholarships to reduce your financial aid.  Students will be required to make a payment for any balance created as a result of reducing or canceling your Federal Direct Loans or other aid.  

What is Coyote Cash?

You can add funds to your MyCoyote OneCard to use across campus.  For more information please visit the Student Financial Service website.

What are the CSUSB Mandatory Campus Based Fees for?

How can I get a copy of my billing statement?

The University does not generate and send tuition bills.  All fees and their respective due dates can be found online via the MyCoyote Student Center.  

If you need a copy of your financial activity, please visit the following; Financial Statement.

What is the Tax Relief Act of 1997 (TRA97)?

The TRA97 provides two tax credits, the Hope and the Lifetime Learning Credit. These credits are designed to reduce the amount of out-of-pocket expenses for higher education. The IRS has further information on their web site regarding the requirements to qualify for these credits.

Financial Aid Disbursement Questions

Can I pick up my financial aid check?

No, due to the high volume of financial aid checks issued, all checks are mailed to the mailing address on file.  To avoid delays associated with receiving a paper check, students are encouraged to Enroll in Direct Deposit.


If a check was mailed, when will I receive it?

The check should be delivered in a timely manner, approximately 3-4 days from the date of mailing provided the address is correct.  Due to delays with USPS delivering mail, please allow 14 business days prior to contacting our office to request a new check.  

Please note:  CSUSB will use the address you have listed as your mailing address.

How much financial aid will I receive?

View Your Student Account to view how much financial aid you are expected to receive. 

If you have questions about your financial aid eligibility, the status of your financial aid or award amounts, please contact Financial Aid and Scholarships by emailing or by calling 909.537.5227.  

I never received my financial aid check, what should I do?

If a refund check is not received within two weeks from the date of mailing, the student will need to complete and sign an Affidavit of Lost Check by emailing  Please note, a reissued check takes approximately 4-5 weeks.

To avoid future delays in receiving your financial aid refunds, please Enroll in Direct Deposit.  


Why is there a difference between my expected financial aid award and the amount of the refund I received?

In most cases, your financial aid is applied in the form of a payment on your student account to cover any outstanding balance, including Tution and Fees, and Housing and Meals.  The refund that you received is the remaining amount that was not applied to any charges.  Students are encouraged to View Their Student Account to confirm that there are not any remaining charges on their account.  Depending on the type of financial aid, some funds are issued directly to the student.  

If you have questions about the actual amount of the financial aid you are eligible for, please contact Financial Aid and Scholarships by calling (909) 537-5227 or emailing

What are the CSUSB Mandatory Campus Based Fees for?