Main Content Region


Popular Student Financial Services Questions

Where can I get a copy of my 1098T?

The Univeristy currently uses ECSI to create and send the 1098T tax forms.  The forms are not available on campus.  For more information please vist the following: 1098T forms.

How do I appeal charges?

To appeal charges you will need to submit an Appeal Application for Reversal of Tuition.  Please note; you must be withdrawn from the term and/or course for which you are appealing.  For more information on refund policies please visit the following; refund policies.

Where do I make payments?

If you chose not to pay online, you may pay in person at the Student Financial Services Office.  Student Financial Services is located in University Hall Room 035 (lower level). Payments accepted in person include: cash, check, money order, traveler's check, cashier's check or pin-based ATM/Debit cards. Credit card payments are not accepted on campus.  

When is tuition due?

Tuition due dates can be found under the "charges due" tab in the finance section of your Student Center.  They may also be found on our website; tuition due dates.  Important: If you are a financial aid recipient you are only responsible for the portion that is not covered (if any amount remains) by your assigned due date.

What is pre-payment?

After open enrollment has closed pre-payment of tuition and fees is required if you would like to enroll for the current term.  This period is notated with a pre-payment hold.  Your account will not reflect a balance for the term therefore you will need to add the terms tuition and fees to your shopping cart (if paying online). You will be required to pay all of your tuition and fees in advance prior to enrolling.  The pre-payment hold ONLY pertains to the term for which it states and will not prevent enrollment for any other term.  For more information on payment methods please visit the following; payment methods.  

What is direct deposit and how do I enroll?

When financial aid disburses to a student, it posts as a credit to his/her account.  Tuition Fees or other amounts owed are then subtracted from this aid.  The remaining credit can be sent to the student via direct deposit.  It takes approximately three working days for the balance of the aid to arrive in the student's bank account.  If for any reason a student's bank account changes or is closed, the student is responsible for cancelling or updating the direct deposit information on file.  Failure to do so may cause a delay in processing the refund. Students who have overpaid or dropped courses and need to request a refund may also use this direct deposit feature.  Simply enroll in direct deposit via MyCoyote.

When will I receive my financial aid money?

Initial financial aid disbursements will occur approximately ten days before classes begin. Typically, checks are mailed and direct deposits are transmitted every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Is there a payment plan available to pay my tuition?

Yes, the CSUSB Installment Payment Plan (three installment plan) is available to any student classified by CSUSB as a resident of California.  

A $22.00 non-refundable installment plan processing fee is required. Click here for the Installment Payment Plan details.

Please note: the payment plan cannot be used for room and board fees.

What is Student Financial Services responsible for?

Student Financial Services is the central location for student account inquiries and payments.  We provide information related to payments, refunds, deadlines and general questions about your student account.

Student Financial Services is responsible for the disbursement of financial aid, scholarship and over-payment refunds.  We provide Emergency Loans (for qualified students) and Installment Payment Plans.  In addition, SFS bills Third Party Vendors (employers, sponsored students) for tuition and fees, issues the 1098-T tax form and oversees the Federal Perkins Loan program. 

Student Financial Services accepts payments for; tuition and fees, parking citations, ID cards, transcripts, graduation checks, etc.  Other responsibilities include distribution of payroll warrants and receipt of departmental deposits.

Why do I have a past due account hold?

A past due account hold is placed when a student has a financial obligation to the University that is considered delinquent.  Please review your account via the finance section of your Student Center.  If you still have questions, you may contact our office in person, by phone, or by email.

My financial aid doesn't cover all of my charges, how can I find how much I owe?

If you select the "account inquiry" link in the finance section of your Student Center, you will see a breakdown of your charges, the amount of financial aid you are to receive, and the amount you owe will be listed in the "total due" column.  This is the amount you are responsible for paying by your assigned due date.

General Student Financial Services Questions

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) exists to protect your right to confidentiality and limit our ability to release information about financial records. In compliance with the Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, CSU, San Bernardino is prohibited from providing certain information from your student record to a third party, such as grades, billing, tuition and fee assessments, financial aid and other student record information. This restriction applies, but is not limited, to your parents, your spouse, or a sponsor. For more information please visit our FERPA page.

I overpaid and now I have a credit on my account. Can I get a refund?

Yes, a Refund Request Form may be submitted to Student Financial Services. Refunds are typically processed within 5-7 business days; refunds for check payments can take 4-5 weeks.  A $25.00 processing fee may be assessed.  Students may also elect to receive their refunds through direct deposit.  Simply enroll in direct deposit via MyCoyote prior to submitting a Refund Request Form

What is the Tax Relief Act of 1997 (TRA97)?

The TRA97 provides two tax credits, the Hope and the Lifetime Learning Credit. These credits are designed to reduce the amount of out-of-pocket expenses for higher education. The IRS has further information on their web site regarding the requirements to qualify for these credits.

Why do I still have a balance on my account if I dropped classes before census?

Due to the newly enacted Return of Title V, all Tuition Fees are prorated if classes are not dropped before the first day of class.

How much is housing?

Housing charges can be found on the Housing and Residential Education website on the FAQ page.

Can my hold be lifted if I set up payment arrangements because I need to register for the next quarter?

No. All outstanding Tuition Fees must be paid in full before the hold can be lifted.

Can I return financial aid monies?

Yes, you have 120 days from the day we process the excess funds to you to return any unwanted monies.  Payments must be made in person at the SFS Office.

What is Coyote Cash?

You can add funds to your MyCoyote OneCard to use across campus.  For more information please visit the Student Financial Service website.

How can I get a copy of my billing statement?

The University does not generate and send tuition bills.  All fees and their respective due dates can be found online via the MyCoyote Student Center.  If you need a copy of your financial activity, please visit the following; Financial Statement.

I have an employer that pays for my tuition, who do I notify?

The Student Financial Services Office will need an authorization from your employer to bill accordingly.  For more information please visit; Sponsored Billing.

How can I get an Emergency Loan?

For your convenience, you can download the Emergency Loan Application to complete, sign, and drop off at Student Financial Services in University Hall-Room 035.  Please make sure the application is completed in it's entirety.  Partially completed forms will not be accepted. You may fax the application to (909) 537-7607.  For more information plese visit; Emergency Loans.

Financial Aid Disbursement Questions

How much financial aid will I receive?

The amount of financial aid you will receive cannot be given out over the phone due to student confidentiality. You may view the information via your MyCoyote Student Center (Finance Section) or you may stop by Student Financial Services to inquire in person.  Please make sure you bring a photo ID.

I never received my financial aid check, what should I do?

If the check is not received within two weeks from the date of mailing, the student will need to complete and sign an Affidavit of Lost Check at the Student Financial Services Office located in University Hall, Room 035.  A reissued check takes approximately 4-5 weeks.


Why is there a difference between my expected financial aid award and the amount of the check I received?

Outstanding amounts owed are deducted from the financial aid prior to the balance being disbursed to the student.  Questions regarding the actual amount of the financial aid awarded must be directed to the Financial Aid Office at (909) 537-5227 or visit; Financial Aid.

Can I pick up my financial aid check?

No, due to the high volume of financial aid checks generated all checks are either mailed or direct deposited only.


If a check was mailed, when will I receive it?

The check should be delivered in a timely manner, approximately 3-4 days from the date of mailing provided the address is correct.  

Please note:  the University will use the address you have listed as your mailing address.