For interpretation of this policy, please contact the Office of Administration and Finance, 909/537-5130
California State Unversity, San Bernardino's institutional U.S. flag flies in the front of campus at the center of the campus quad. U.S. flags are also located at the University Police Department, Jack H. Brown Hall and in front of the Health Sciences Building at the Palm Desert Campus. The flags are maintained by our Facilities Management department with the exception of the flag located at the University Police Department which is maintained by Police personnel.
The Chancellor of the 23-campuses of California State University has designated decisions related to the U.S. flag to the president of the individual CSU campuses.
CSU, San Bernardino generally bases decision to lower the U.S. flags on directive and executive orders sent to federal and/or state agencies by either the President of the United States or the Governor of California. The Chancellor of the California State University System, or the President of California State University, San Bernardino, grants the authorization to fly the flag at half-staff out of respect for events, occurences, or based on discretionary consideration.
The Office of the Vice President for Administration and Finance is designated as the primary office responsible for requesting the flag to be lowered to half-staff and informing the campus at large. The University will be notified via the CAMPUS listserv when flags are flown at half-staff.
Below is a list of pre-established dates on which the U.S. Flag is customarily flown at half-staff:
- Peace Officers Memorial Day, May 15 (sunrise to sunset)
- Memorial Day, last Monday in May (sunrise to noon)
- Patriot Day, September 11 (sunrise to sunset) - in accordance with Public Law 107-89 and Public Law 111-13
- National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Day, tradionally the first Sunday in October (sunrise to sunset) in association with Fire Prevention Week - in accordance with Public Law 107-51
- Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, December 7 (sunrise to sunset) - in accordance with Public Law 103-308.