Return of the Pack Stay Informed
Main Content Region

Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business Policy

Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business Policy

Reviewed By: Administrative Council on
Approved By: Albert K. Karnig, President on
Reviewed By: Administrative Council
Reviewed By: Administration Council on
Approved By: Tomas D. Morales, President on

For interpretation of this policy, please contact the responsible department: Accounts Payable, (909) 537-5155

The State Administrative Manual requires that before employees can drive a personal vehicle while on official travel status, they must possess a valid CSUSB Defensive Driving Card and, each year, must complete a STD 261, 'Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicle on State Business.'

This policy describes the process and responsibilities associated with authorizing campus employees to use privately owned vehicles on State business.

During the month of September, departments/colleges/divisions will be responsible for ensuring that a STD 261 is completed for employees who will use their privately owned vehicles on State business. A reminder of this requirement will be issued by Accounts Payable. New employees will complete the STD 261 upon hiring. The STD 261 will be maintained by the employer's department.

In order to secure a CSUSB Defensive Driving Card, employees must pass the Defensive Driving test that is administered by Parking Services. Cards are valid for four years.

Prior to approving the use of a privately owned vehicle, departments should verify that the traveler has a STD 261 on file and possesses a CSUSB Defensive Driving Card. Reimbursement for mileage can be denied if these requirements are not met.

If an employee has an accident while using his/her privately owned vehicle on State business, he/she must contact Facilities Services within 48 hours to complete an accident report.