Control identity theft by checking your credit report.
You should always check your credit report for suspicious activity. Recent federal legislation (Fair and Accurate Credit Report Act) has made it mandatory for the major three credit agencies to provide you with one free credit report per year.
The website to visit is https://www.annualcreditreport.com or you can call 1-877-322-8228.
Written requests can be sent to:Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281
It is recommended to include a fourth credit agency - Innovis - when monitoring your credit for identity theft, however, this won't be a free credit report. Call them at: 1-800-540-2505 or mail requests to:
Attn: Consumer Assistance
P.O. Box 1689
Pittsburgh, PA 15230-1689
Other helpful links for identity theft:
- The State of California Office of the Attorney General's website provides useful information on identity theft in California.
- Find useful information on how to prevent and respond to identity theft on the FTC's website.
- The US Department of Education's website provides information on identity theft for university students.
- The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) website provides assistance on a wide variety of consumer protection topics.
- The Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force provides helpful information on how to protect your personal information