Now Updated to Reflect New MA Curriculum
Requirements for Completing a Dual Concentration
In order to complete a dual concentration in the M.A. in English & Writing Studies, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Before declaring a second concentration, complete a minimum of 15 units of coursework in a single concentration in the M.A. program with a minimum GPA of 3.5 in this coursework.
- Notify the graduate coordinators of both concentrations of your intention to pursue the dual concentration.
- To add a concentration, file a Graduate Change of Program Application (COPA) form with the Graduate Studies Office. On this form, you should specify that you are adding a second concentration and keeping your first concentration.
- Complete 42 units of graduate coursework in the M.A. program.
- Complete all of the non-elective coursework under both concentrations with a grade of C or higher in each course and with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher in this coursework. If, after completing all of this non-elective coursework, you have not yet completed the required 42 units (see requirement 4 above), you must complete the remaining units with graduate elective coursework, approved in advance by the graduate coordinator of one of your concentrations.
- When you are within 1-2 quarters of completing the program, file a Graduation Check for each of your concentrations (i.e., two Graduation Checks total) with the Records office.
- Complete either the thesis (ENG 6973) or the Comprehensive Examination (ENG 6983 and 6980).
- If you are completing a thesis, your thesis can combine both disciplines in its content and approach or you can choose one concentration to focus on.
- If you are completing the Comprehensive Examination, we encourage you to take one test from each of your concentrations, but like thesis students, you may choose to concentrate on one.