This law provides that eligible students will inspect and review their educational records and also provides and protects the rights of a student to privacy by limiting access to the educational record without express written consent.
A parent of a dependent student may challenge denial of such access by producing the most current copy of Internal Revenue Form 1040. If that form lists the student in question as a dependent, the parent will be required to sign an affidavit which affirms that the student is his/her dependent. The affidavit will be retained by the Office of the Registrar. Upon receipt of the affidavit, the university will make student records available to the parent as specified under the Buckley Amendment.
- An ELIGIBLE STUDENT is defined as any individual formally admitted to and matriculated at California State University, San Bernardino. Dependency is defined by Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954.
- An EDUCATIONAL RECORD is any record
- directly related to a student, and
- maintained by CSUSB or by a party acting for the University. This includes any information or data recorded in any medium, including but not limited to: handwriting, print, tapes, film, microfilm, microfiche and electronic means.
- Two types of educational records are defined as
- DIRECTORY INFORMATION, which is general information that may be released to anyone without the consent of the student, unless the student indicates otherwise and
- PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION, which includes all information not defined as directory information and may not be released without the consent of the student.
- ACCESS. Students may control access to their records by completing forms through the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. It is important to remember that inspection of student records by University officials for educational purposes is permitted. The following guidelines are provided for release of information under the provisions of this law:
Local and Permanent Address
Local Telephone Number
Date and Place of Birth
Degrees and Awards Received
Dates of Attendance
Participation in Officially Recognized Activities and Sports
Weight/Height of Members of Athletic Teams
Most Recent Previous Educational Institution Attended
(Personally Identifiable Information)
All Other Information
Any information, including directory information that the student has indicated will not be released.
STUDENTS ACCESSING EDUCATIONAL RECORDS OR RECEIVING UNIVERSITY SERVICES MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION.
Office of the Registrar