Departmental Honors are awarded to students for outstanding achievement in their major course of study. Those who are awarded Departmental Honors are recognized in the graduation program book and are eligible to wear a special honors cord at the university commencement ceremony. Departmental Honors is also noted on the student's official university transcript.
To qualify for Information & Decision Sciences departmental honors, you must have a 3.5 GPA. An email will be sent to you to pick up your cords. If you believe you meet the requirements, but haven't received an email, please visit JB 134 for more information.
To be considered for University Honors for graduation, an undergraduate student must have completed a minimum of 45 units of work at California State University, San Bernardino in courses for which letter grades (A, B, C and D) were received. University Honors for commencement are based on the student's units and grade point average through the end of the quarter prior to commencement.
- Summa Cum Laude: an overall cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.9 or above and a grade point average of 3.9 or above in all work attempted at this university. These students are entitled to wear gold and maroon cords.
- Magna Cum Laude: an overall cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.75 or above and a grade point average of 3.75 or above in all work attempted at this university. These students are entitled to wear a gold cord.
- Cum Laude: an overall cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.5 or above and a grade point average of 3.5 or above in all work attempted at this university. These students are entitled to wear a maroon cord.
Undergraduate candidates receiving University Honors for degrees are listed in the Commencement Program. Honors are based on the students units and grade point average through the end of the quarter prior to commencement.
Honor Cord: Undergraduate students who have earned University Honors are eligible to wear an honor cord as a special mark of the distinction achieved. Qualified undergraduate students will be sent an e-mail. You must present your letter at the Coyote Bookstore in order to purchase your honor cord. Graduate students do not wear honor cords.
Graduation and Commencment
All students planning to graduate must submit a graduation check to the Office of the Registrar, located in UH-171, prior to the end of the term of their expected graduation. However, to avoid late fees, the grad check should be filed by the established deadlines.
- May 2017 – for Winter 2018 (Mar)
- Nov. 2017 – for Spring quarter 2018 (Jun.)
- January 2018 – for Summer quarter 2018 (Sept.)
- February 2018 – for Fall quarter 2018 (Dec.)
- May 2018 – for Winter quarter 2019 (Mar.)
There are two commencement ceremonies held annually at CSUSB, Fall Commencement is held in December and Spring Commencement is held in June. Students are eligible to participate in the Spring Commencement ceremony if they have a grad check on file for Winter, Spring or Summer. Students are eligible to participate in the Fall Commencement Ceremony if they have a graduation check on file for Fall or Winter.
For further information on commencement, please contact the Commencement Office at (909) 537-7360 | https://www.csusb.edu/commencement.