As we continue to monitor and meet established safety guidelines in response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, our offices are still open and operating in a virtual format. You can reach us by phone at (909) 537-5723 or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). We will respond as quickly as possible. Please keep a close watch for new announcements. Many of them, as well as several resources, can be found on CSUSB’s dedicated COVID-19/Coronavirus Information web page.
Thank you and stay safe.
Master of Science in Information Systems Technology
The Master of Science in Information Systems and Technology (MSIST) program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and offers quality education, a relevant curriculum, convenient class times and affordability. The MSIST program provides post-baccalaureate students with a high-quality level of education in the field of information systems and technology. The degree has two options that prepare students for leadership positions in the areas of cyber security and business intelligence. The main objective is to graduate students who have the ability to identify and solve business problems, manage organizational risk, secure and manage computer network systems, ensure business continuity, design and implement data warehouses, and use business intelligence tools to collect, integrate, analyze, and use analytics tools to mine big data for the purpose of supporting managerial decision making at all control levels-frontline, managerial, and strategic. Graduates of both career tracks are able to use their analytics knowledge to fully exploit the opportunities provided by big data, nurture data-based, and evidence driven organizations. In addition, both concentrations can also lead to strategic positions such as Chief Information Officer, Chief Information Security Officer, Chief Analytics Officer, Chief Data Officer, or Chief Business Architect.
The program is open to all qualified students with a post-baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in any field. Students must have a keen interest in pursuing careers in cyber security, business intelligence, data analytics, and information systems technology.
Degree Requirements (36 units)
The 36 units Master of Science in Information System Technology degree program begins with two foundation courses IST 6110 and IST 6030 (6 units) which are provided to develop the students' analytical, and fundamental programming skills critical to the success in the program.
Five core courses (15 units) are required for all MSIST students to develop a deeper understanding of IST and business issues. This is followed with specialized (12 units) career track courses for Cyber Security or Business Intelligence and Information Technology through electives. Prior to advancement to candidacy, a student must select one of the two career tracks. The specific courses a student will take will be chosen by the student in consultation with an assigned faculty career track mentor. Similarly, selection of the student’s MSIST Culminating Experience Project topic (3 units) will be decided by the student in consultation with an assigned faculty career track mentor.
|Course Number||Course Name|
|IST 6110||Foundations of Analytics and Big Data||3|
|IST 6030||Foundations of Business Systems||3|
|Core Courses (15)|
|IST 6090||Information Systems and Technology Management||3|
|IST 6450||Systems Analysis, Design and Implementation||3|
|IST 6470||Database Management and Policies||3|
|IST 6480||Information Networking Systems and Security||3|
|IST 6890||Enterprise Architecture Planning, Strategy, Security and Policy||3|
|Culminating Experience (3)||3|
|Students must satisfy the requirements of one of the concentrations listed below.||12|
|Course Number||Course Name||Units|
|IST 6960||MSIST Culminating Project||3|
|IST 6980||MSIST Portfolio||0|
Information Systems & Technology Cyber Security, MS
(Program Code: ISTC)
|Course Number||Course Name||Units|
|IST 5250||Incident Handling and Cyber Investigation||3|
|IST 6700||Cybersecurity Policy and Risk Management||3|
|IST 6720||Cyber Defense and Vulnerability Analysis||3|
|IST 6730||Cybersecurity Theory and Practice||3|
Information Systems & Technology Business Intelligence and Analytics, MS
(Program Code: ISTB)
|Course Number||Course Name||Units|
|IST 6620||Business Analytics and Decision Making||3|
|IST 6670||Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence||3|
|IST 6680||Business Applications Using Web Technologies||3|
|Three units chosen from the following:||3|
|Advanced Marketing Research|
|Advanced Topics in GIS and Spatial Techniques|
Cal State San Bernardino’s MSIST program offers rigorous course work, mentoring from exceptional faculty, resulting in exciting and rewarding career opportunities. Please carefully review our admissions and tuition information. Pre-admissions advising is also available to answer all and any of your questions.
In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, with required minimum GPA of 3.0 calculated using the entire degree or the last 90 quarter (60 semester) units, which may include post-baccalaureate work. Students with significant GMAT/GRE scores and/or professional experience may be permitted to join with a 2.5 GPA
- A bachelor's degree from a AACSB accredited institution, may qualify for a GRE/GMAT waiver or/
- Minimum five years of post-undergraduate professional and/or managerial (defined as responsibility for scheduling, hiring, firing, evaluating, developing and/or rewarding employees) experience
- Submission of official transcripts in sealed envelopes from all institutions attended to CSUSB Graduate Admissions Office. CSUSB students are not required to submit any CSUSB transcripts. If your transcript is not in English, then you must also send a certified literal English translation of the transcripts along with the official original-language transcripts with proof of degree to: CSUSB Graduate Admissions Office at 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA 92407
- Submission of an acceptable Graduate Management Admission (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) score unless the GMAT or GRE score is waived by the coordinator of the MSIST program or the chair of the department based on waiver guidelines set by the department. Please send GMAT or GRE score to the MSIST Program Coordinator in the Information and Decision Sciences Department at 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA 92407
The current acceptable exam scores with a 3.0 GPA:
- GMAT score of 470 (minimum 10% on GMAT Verbal Ability and Quantitative Ability percentile rankings)
- GRE score of 298 (minimum 10% on GRE Verbal Ability and Quantitative Ability percentile rankings)
- If your Bachelor’s degree was not taught principally in English, then you must take the TOEFL or IELTS and have official scores sent to CSUSB Graduate Admissions Office. International students should follow all instructions of the application procedures and submit all necessary documentation as listed at the International Admissions website http://www.csusb.edu/cisp/admissions.
English Proficiency for International Students can satisfy this requirement in a number of ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language TOEFL (iBT 79/80 or PBT 550) taken within the past two years
- IELTS exam score of 6.5 taken within the past two years
- Complete level 6 of CSUSB's Intensive English Program (IEP)
- Submission of a 200 – 250 word statement that demonstrates academic motivation, reasons for wishing to pursue the MISIT at CSUSB, and personal qualifications that will contribute to the successful completion of the program. Although work experience is not required, at least two years of professional work experience will make an application more competitive. Please mail in Statement of Purpose addressed to Erin Yela-MSIST Program Coordinator in the Information and Decision Sciences Department, 5500 University Parkway, San Bernardino, CA 92407
- Along with two letters of recommendation either professional or academic
Additional requirement for international students: International students must also submit a completed affidavit of financial support form. International students should follow all instructions of the application procedures and submit all necessary documentation as listed at the International Admissions website https://www.csusb.edu/cisp/admissions.
Students who meet all entrance requirements may be admitted to the program in a conditionally classified status until the Foundational Course requirements are met. Once students meet the minimum passing level of “B” for each of the two foundational courses (ADMN 6110 & ADMN 6030) they will be advanced to classified graduate standing in the program. Only fully classified students, however, may enroll in the other 600-level core courses unless they have written consent from the MSIST program coordinator.
Requirements for admission to the California State University, San Bernardino are in accordance with the California Code of Regulations. Complete information is available at www.calstate.edu.
All CSU applications must be submitted online at https://www2.calstate.edu/apply. An acknowledgment will be sent to the applicant when the online application has been submitted.
IMPORTANCE OF FILING COMPLETE, ACCURATE AND AUTHENTIC DOCUMENTS
Cal State San Bernardino advises prospective students that they must supply complete and accurate information on the application for admission, residency questionnaire, and financial aid forms. Further, applicants must, when requested, submit authentic and official transcripts of all previous academic work attempted. Failure to file complete, accurate, and authentic application documents may result in denial of admission, cancellation of registration or academic credit, suspension, or expulsion (Section 41301, Article 1.1, Title 5, California Code of Regulations).
Students who are admitted to the university for a given term but who do not register in that term must file a new application and pay the $55 application fee when they seek admission again to another open term. Current admission requirements and applicable deadlines must be met.
For tuition and fees visit the Student Financial Services department website https://www.csusb.edu/student-financial-services/tuition-and-fees.
Phone (909) 537-5162