2020 COVID-19 pandemic
Due to the unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic, all CSUSB courses, including BIOL courses, have moved online. Students should keep a close watch out for email announcements from administration, faculty, and staff. Biology faculty student hours will be held online using a variety of ways to connect with you. Spring office hours will be updated soon.
We are all in this together. Stay safe; stay healthy; and practice social distancing!
Department of Biology Mission Statement
The mission of the Department of Biology is to contribute to the comprehensive liberal arts curriculum by fostering in students an appreciation of the relevance of the biological sciences to their lives and the choices they will be faced with as members of a society experiencing rapid technological advances. To this end, students will develop knowledge and skills that will enable them to evaluate the impact of their decisions on local, regional and global issues concerning the economy, personal health and welfare, and the environment. Students completing the biology major will be prepared for entry-level careers in science or to pursue advanced training in graduate and professional schools. To fulfill the mission, the biology curriculum is designed to address seven goals:
- To provide an understanding of the mechanics, application and limitations of the scientific process
- Develop an appreciation and understanding of evolution and the diversity of life
- Demonstrate the relationships between structure, function and energy in living systems
- Culture an appreciation for the historical development of scientific knowledge
- Instruct students in effective utilization of discipline-specific information resources
- Develop technical and analytical skills appropriate to modern biological investigation
- Enhance both written and oral communication skills appropriate to the discipline