Main Content Region

College Student Eligibility Information

CalFresh Student Exemptions

Students must meet both the regular eligibility criteria, and at least one of the criteria below, to qualify for CalFresh.

  • Enrolled less than half-time
  • Taking non-credit courses only
  • Age 17 or younger
  • Age 50 or older
  • Does not expect to be enrolled next term 
  • Working and getting paid for at least 20 hours per week OR a total of 80 hours a month on average.
  • Approved  for federal or state work study, anticipates working, and have not refused a work assignment (can still be eligible even if a work study job has not begun or is not currently available).
  • Awarded a TANF funded Cal Grant A or Cal Grant B. TANF requirements are:
    • Receive both Cal Grant tuition and fee payments
    • Unmarried- Dependent student whose Age <=23 or Unmarried -Independent Student whose Age <=25
    • Income <=$50,000
  • Enrolled in a local or state funded program that increases employability. 
    • See LPIE list below for CSUSB approved programs.
  • Enrolled in a program that increases employability for current and former foster youth (Guardian Scholars, FYSI, CAFYES, ETV or Extended Foster Care).
  • Responsible for the care of a dependent in the household under the age of 6 or a child under the age of 12 without adequate childcare
  • A single parent responsible for the care of a dependent in the household under the age of 12
  • Participating in the CalFresh Employment and Training Program (CFET) or Job Opportunities and Basic Skills (JOBS), or be a recipient of CalWORKs or Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC).

Other Things to Consider

  • Individuals under the age of 22 who live with their natural parents, adoptive parents, or stepparents must include them and their income when applying for CalFresh.
  • International DACA and DREAM students have been shown to not be eligible, even with a work VISA/SSN
  • Out-of-state students can still be eligible for CalFresh if they are residing in California for the school year.
  • Veterans and foster youth may have many different forms of income. The applicant's eligibility worker will help them determine what income counts and what doesn't. All will need to be reported on the application.
  • Financial Aid awards needs to indicate that a student is approved to participate in a state or federal work study program during the regular academic year. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships determines if you are eligible for work study.


Approved List of Local Programs to Increase Employability (LPIEs) for CSUSB

Current enrollment in a program listed below would satisfy the college students eligibility requirement. Please complete the student verification request form below to obtain the documentation needed to verify your enrollment in any of these programs.  


Campus Programs: All Majors
  • Campus Employment Program (no minimum hour requirement) 
  • Research Assistantship
  • Teaching Assistantship
  • Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
  • College Corps
  • Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)


LPIEs by College

College of Social and Behavioral Health
  • Bachelor of Arts in Sociology
  • Bachelor of Arts in Child and Adolescent Development Concentration
  • Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Development Concentration
  • Master of Arts in Applied Archaeology
  • Master of Science in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
  • Master of Science in Clinical/Counseling Psychology
College of Education
  • Internship Education Specialist Credential: 
    • Early Childhood Special Education with EL Authorization
    • Mild/Moderate Disabilities with EL Authorization
    • Extensive Support Needs
  • Pupil Personnel Services Credential: School Psychology
  • Master of Art in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
  • Master of Art in Rehabilitation Counseling
Jack H. Brown College of Business and Public Administration
  • Bachelor of Arts in Administration Hospitality Management Concentration (PDC)
College of Natural Sciences
  • Minor in Applied Physics
  • Minor in Astronomy
  • Minor in Physics
  • Minor in Geography
  • Bachelor of Arts in Environmental Studies Environmental Systems Concentration
  • Bachelor of Arts in Geography
  • Bachelor of Science in Bioinformatics
  • Bachelor of Science in Biology
  • Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health Science
  • Bachelor of Arts Chemistry Concentration
  • Bachelor of Arts Biochemistry Concentration
  • Bachelor of Science in Health Services Administration
  • Bachelor of Science in Nutritional Science and Dietetics
  • Bachelor of Science in Public Health
  • Bachelor of Arts in Physics
  • Bachelor of Science in Physics
  • Bachelor of Arts in Computer Systems Game Development Concentration
  • Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering
  • Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
  • Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology Allied Health Professions Concentration
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing - RN to BSN Bridge Program
  • Master of Science in Nursing Population Health for Clinical Leaders
  • Master of Science in Nursing Nurse Educator
  • Master of Science in Nursing Advanced Community/Public Health Nursing
  • Master of Science in Biology
  • Master of Science in Nutrition Science
  • Certificate in Health Services Administration
  • Certificate in Nurse Educator
  • Advanced Community/Public Health Nursing Certificate


Request assistance with student verification documents.

Complete the request below for assistance with required student verification documents. Examples of required documents for your CalFresh application include Federal Work Study,  Local Program to Increase Employability (LPIE), EOP participation, and campus employment verification.  

Student Verification Request