Main Content Region

Out-of-State College

Out-of-State Colleges

Attending an out-of-state college can be an adventurous and exciting decision. Yet, many students hold back due to the higher price that out-of-state tuition has and other spends. However, there are many ways to reduce spending and take advantage of financial aid programs. So do not be afraid to apply to an out-of-state college!

To know more about out-of-state colleges and their requirements, click on the following button links:

Financial Tips for attending an out-of-state college

1. Attend a state school in an "Academic Common Market"

An academic common market is a tuition-savings program that allows college students to study a specialized field out of state if their desired degree program major is not offered on the student's state. The advantage of this program is that students can study in another state while paying in-state rates!

There are four academic common markets that you can research:

2. Seek scholarships and tuition waivers

Some colleges offer scholarships and tuition waivers to persuade top-performing students from another states to attend their institution. So, check if the college(s) of your interest have any of these special waivers for out-of-state students.

3. Move to the state of your college to become a resident

Moving to another state takes a lot of planning since to be eligible as a in-state student requires the student to live in the state for at least one year. Unfortunately, being in the state of your desired school as a college student does not count. You and/or your family needs to live at least one year in that state to be approved. It requires you and/or your family to have a paper trail to prove you residency, such as paying taxes, registering to vote and getting a driver's license of that state.

This is a drastic move to lower the cost of attendance, but it is a good option if your circumstances allows it.

4. Military members and their dependents are allowed to attend state schools in the country while paying in-state tuition

In 2014, H.R. 3230 (Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014) was signed into law, which gave military members, veterans and their dependents in-state status at public institutions in the United States.

"(Sec. 702) Directs the Secretary to disapprove, for purposes of the All-Volunteer Force and the Post-9/11 Educational Assistance programs, courses of education provided by a public educational institution of higher education (IHE) that charges veterans living in the state higher tuition and fees than it charges in-state residents, regardless of the veteran's state of residence. Makes this provision applicable to: (1) veterans who were discharged or released from at least 90 days of active service less than three years before their date of enrollment in the applicable course, (2) family members eligible for such assistance due to their relationship to such veterans, and (3) courses that commence on or after July 1, 2015.

Prohibits the Secretary from disapproving a public IHE's course on the grounds that the IHE conditions a veteran's receipt of in-state tuition rates on such veteran: (1) demonstrating an intent, by means other than physical presence, to establish residency in the state; or (2) satisfying other requirements not related to the establishment of residency."

To know more about how this policy can help you reduce your cost of attendance, click at following sources:

5. Ask the financial aid office of your college

Reach out to financial aid offices for any available merit or need-based aid. Many students are unaware of some of these financial aids that each college can provide. You don't lose anything by asking, and you may get a reduction of you bill with any grants they can provide you!