Main Content Region

Academic Grievance

Student Academic Grievance Procedures Overview

A student may appeal a final course grade or a grade on a Comprehensive Examination or a project (e.g., art exhibition) or thesis required for graduation.  An appeal may be initiated when a student believes there has been any of the following:

  1. Clerical error
  2. Capricious or prejudicial evaluation
  3. Inconsistent or inequitably applied standards for evaluation

Students may also appeal to other types of academic decisions. These include, but are not limited to:

  1. Denial of admission to or dismissal from a course, major, or program
  2. Placement on Academic Notice
  3. Suspension or dismissal from the university

Every effort should be made to settle the disagreement informally.  This document is not intended to limit a student, faculty member,  or department from resolving a problem in any informal way they find satisfactory.  However; the college level appeal procedures outlined in Section 2 must be exhausted before a student may initiate the University-level procedures described in Section 3.

The Student Academic Grievance Procedures are available through the Faculty Senate FAM 800-875: Teaching / Research / Students.
After reading the Student Academic Grievance Procedures, please get in touch with those below for further assistance:

College-Level Appeal (Course, Major, Program)

College: Arts & Letters
Phone: (909) 537-5800
Location: UH-237

College: Business & Public Administration
Phone: (909) 537-5700
Location: JB-278D

College: Education
Phone: (909) 537-5600
Location: CE-221

College: Natural Sciences
Phone: (909) 537-5300
Location: BI-107

College: Social & Behavioral Sciences
Phone: (909) 537-7500
Location: SB-207

University-Level Appeal

Office: ASUA AVP Office
Phone: (909) 537-5032
Location: UH-352