Main Content Region

Undeclared and Exploratory Advising

Fall 2022 admits - Exploratory Advising Survey

Are you a new first year student for the fall 2022 semester? Please make sure to fill out the exploratory advising survey:

Exploratory Advising Survey

As an undeclared student, Advising and Academic Services in UH-380 is your university department until you declare a major. Advisors are there to help with your academic progress and to give you alternatives and hints on possible majors based on your interests.


Academic Advising

During the advising meetings:

  • We encourage you to read the current CSUSB Bulletin of Courses (catalog) to get information about the university, its majors and related career opportunities.

  • We help you to make a list of majors in which they are interested and provide contact information. During those meetings students are encouraged to inquire about academic requirements, career opportunities, possible scholarships and additional programs associated with the major.

  • We encourage them to also schedule an appointment with the Career Center to take a personality and/or interest assessment and discuss majors and careers of interest. 

  • Help you to understand your PAWSreport (Program Advising Worksheet for Students).

  • Monitors how long you are listed as undeclared. Your goal is to declare your major by the time you earn 60 semester units (junior status). Registration holds are placed until they declare a major.

  • Help you become familiar with academic support resources and services.

  • Your professors are another great source of information. Stop by during their office hours and talk with them about topics and majors. 

Declare Your Major

Once you know what you want to major in, submit a Change of Major through your MyCoyote Student Center. Please view the Change of Major/Minor Guide. There will be a $6 fee for the Change of Major. 

Impacted Majors: Changing to an impacted major requires an application request to change your current major (or from undeclared) to the impacted major. Because each impacted major requires different eligibility requirements, students must apply and meet with an advisor within the impacted major to determine eligibility. If the student is approved, the Application for Impacted Majors will be signed by the department chair as approval for submission to the Office of the Registrar for processing.