Reports of Students' Visits to the Writing Centers
To confirm students’ visits to the CSUSB Writing Centers, we send email reports to professors several times a term. Here are the details of our reporting system:
What is reported to professors?
- The following data fields are included in reports:
- Full name
- Coyote ID
- Class and meeting days/times
- Appointment date and time
What format are reports sent in?
- Reports are sent via email with attached Excel spreadsheets.
When are reports sent?
Reports are cumulative and each report that we send out covers all appointments from the start of the term through the end of the reporting periods listed below. Reports will be sent as soon after the reporting period as we can manage, generally 1-2 business days. The final report we send each term is not cumulative and covers just appointments within the week of final exams.
With thousands of students' appointments happening in the Writing Centers each term, we send out reports periodically in an effort to balance efficiency, accuracy, and convenience for faculty and students. We are happy to accommodate faculty requests for reports outside our standard schedule below and understand its sometimes easier to have a report timed with the due date of a writing project, progress report, etc. It generally takes us just a few days to turn these reports around once we receive a request. However, it is challenging to respond to individual student requests as they often produce unnecessary and redundant reports, introducing inefficiencies to our reporting process. Interim reports won't have been through all of our rigorous data correction processes so are subject to updates and corrections in subsequent cumulative reports.
Fall 2023 Reporting Periods:
- Beginning of the term through September 9
- Beginning of the term through October 7
- Beginning of the term through November 4
- Beginning of the term through December 9
- December 11 - 15 (Finals Week)
Spring 2023 Reporting Periods:
- Through February 25
- Through March 18
- Through April 15
- Through May 13
- May 15 - 19 (Finals Week)
If you would like a report outside of our standard reporting schedule, please email us (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will be happy to send you an interim report.
Can Writing Center consultants sign anything confirming that a student had an appointment?
- No, it is our policy that consultants not sign anything confirming visits or for other purposes. On such a large campus, such signatures would be all but impossible to verify and open the door to difficulties with impersonation, forgery, etc., while also introducing inefficiencies redundant to our digital reporting process. In addition, our consultants are focused on working within an interactive and collaborative pedagogy and we want to avoid all appearance of their visits involving assessment, grading, approval, or other activities problematic to maintaining a collaborative pedagogy.
Can Writing Center consultants provide evaluative reports at the request of professors/students?
- No, all consultations are considered confidential and we do not report on the content of writing conference in the interest of students and consultants maintaining an open and collaborative relationship.
Are appointments in the Graduate Writing Center also reported?
- Yes, our reports include all components of the CSUSB Writing Centers:
Can reports be provided outside the standard reporting dates and ranges?
- Yes, we do our best to accommodate faculty requests for special reports that can be sent outside the standard reporting schedule. Please email requests to us at email@example.com.