The Early Teaching Experiences in Mathematics and Science scholarship program offers CSUSB students a unique opportunity to explore K-12 STEM teaching. Once students have completed their first year of coursework in their major, they become eligible to apply. Participants will spend at least 20 hours working with peers and a faculty advisor to plan a lesson and learn about what goes into effective teaching, as well as 20 hours observing K-12 classrooms and ultimately teaching their lesson in a K-12 classroom. Through this immersive experience, participants gain a deeper understanding of what is involved in a teaching career and can then use this knowledge to make an informed decision about pursuing a career as a K-12 teacher. You have the option of participating in the program for either one or two semesters and would be eligible for a scholarship each semester.
- Gain hands-on exposure to teaching science or mathematics in a K-12 classroom.
- Observe local K-12 classrooms and meet and interview local mathematics and science teachers.
- Receive up to a $1,500 scholarship per semester for up to two semesters.
- While in the program, you will work with a small group of peers, guided by a faculty mentor, to develop a short classroom lesson that illustrates important principles in science or mathematics.
- If you choose to be in the program for the second semester, you will have the opportunity to teach the lesson in a local K-12 classroom, then revise and improve upon the lesson and teach it again.
- You must have a minimum 2.7 overall GPA and a 2.7 GPA in your major.
- You must have completed the first year of core coursework in your major.
- Please apply if you are considering a career in teaching middle or high school mathematics or science, or if you are interested in learning more about teaching math or science in elementary school.
- Please apply to the ETEMS Program at
- You will also need to submit an unofficial CSUSB transcript along with three (3) letters of recommendation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “ETEMS Program”. The Letter of recommendation forms can be found in our All Forms page.
Application Deadline information for 2022-2023 school year coming soon!