The department encourages students to consider earning Honors in Anthropology. This is particularly recommended for students considering graduate school. Students majoring in anthropology are eligible to receive honors in anthropology at graduation if the following conditions are met:
At least one-half of the course work required by the major is completed at this university.
A grade point average of at least 3.5 in the major, both at this university and overall;
An overall undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 ('B') or better.
Successful completion of ANTH 597. Senior Honors Project, resulting in a thesis paper.
- Applications for candidacy must be made by the beginning of the senior year.
- Approval of candidacy and of the project and project advisor rests with the department.
- The project advisor and one other faculty reader from the department will have responsibility for evaluation of the completed thesis paper.
- Approval must be obtained in advance of registering for Anthropology 597.
- An information packet and proposal form is available from the Department office (SB-327).
If you wish to examine previous Senior Honors Theses, copies are available in the Department office.