Main Content Region

Moving & Relocation Reimbursements Information

CSUSB Moving Expense Reimbursement &  Pre-Move House Hunting Reimbursement

1. Options for reimbursement of moving expenses

Moving/House Hunting reimbursement is now possible on Concur. Please follow the power point below, for detailed instructions on how to do the expense report in Concur. 

Expense Report Instructions

2. Maximum Amount of Reimbursement

Amount negotiated between the University and new employee for moving & relocation expenses, (includes taxable pre-move house hunting expenses)

3. Taxable Expenses -

Please read the current technical letter regarding taxable moving and relocation expenses, Tax Information Changes to Moving and Relocation Expenses, found on the Travel web page. Certain taxable moving expenses such as pre-move house hunting expenses, mileage above the IRS Federal standard mileage rate for moving, meals connected with the move, & others are listed in this letter.



4. Moving Mileage Rate

The federal standard mileage rate for moving may change each year and is based on IRS regulations. The rate may be found in the Tax Info letter mentioned in #3 above, and Concur is updated with the latest mileage rates.

5. Expenses Covered

The cost of moving household effects may be included in total moving expenses as indicated in (8) and (9) below. When authorized, lodging, meal and incidental expenses for the employee and spouse or domestic partner will be reimbursed. Please contact Accounts Payable for the meal & incidental rates.

6. Evidence Required

When claiming travel other than by private car, receipts or ticket stubs for transportation expenses must be attached to your expense report.

7. Length of Employment Required

If an employee whose moving expenses have been paid in part by the State and does not continue his/her employment with the State for a period of two years, he/she will be required to repay a portion of the amount received. (Section 208 of the Internal Procedures Governing Reimbursement for Moving & Relocation Expenses)

8. Moving Household Effects by Common Carrier

The following rules apply regardless of moving company selected:

  • Moving of furniture, clothing, musical instruments, household appliances, foods, and other items which are usual and necessary for the maintenance of a household.

  • The effects must not include any motor vehicles or trailers, farm equipment, boats, animals, belongings not the property of the employee’s immediate family, or belongings related to commercial enterprises engaged in by the employee.

  • Reimbursement must be for actual and necessary expenses for the packing, insurance, transportation, storage in transit, unpacking and installation at the new residence, when properly documented by invoices and receipts.

  • Any claim for storage cannot exceed 60 calendar days.

9. Moving Household Goods by Truck or Trailer

Reimbursement will be allowed for rental of trailers or trucks from commercial establishments for movement of household effects by the employee, if the cost does not exceed what commercial firms would have charged. Reimbursement for hiring of casual labor is not allowed.