Main Content Region

Acceptable I-9 Documents

NEW student assistants must provide original employment eligibility items to complete the hiring process:

Social Security Card:

As a new employee, the selected student will need to provide their original social security card for tax reporting purposes. We will not be able to proceed with a new hire appointment without a social security card.

Per tech letter HR/Benefits 2003-09, “The CSU campuses and the Chancellor’s Office, as state employers, are responsible for accurately recording and reporting Social Security Number's to our pay agent, the State Controller’s office (SCO)”. 

All newly hired employees are required to present their physical Social Security Card to be entered into the State Controller’s Office’s payroll system.

Federal I9 Form:

Please see below for the Department of Homeland Security's list of acceptable documents to establish employment. New employees must present one selection from List A or a combination of one selection from List B and one selection from List C. All documents must be unexpired (no copies/cell phone photos/printouts). We will not be able to proceed with your new hire appointment without acceptable I-9 documents.

acceptable I-9 documents