Admission to the Program
In preparation for admission to the basic program, applicants must review the Special Education Credential Program Admission Booklet, which can be downloaded at Special Education Programs Forms page, and attend a mandatory Information Session. The schedule for Information Sessions may be obtained on the CSUSB Special Education homepage. Applications for graduate programs must be received by the established university admissions deadlines.
1. Original written verification of passing score for the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) or evidence of basic skills requirement (BSR);
2. Two written recommendations by persons who can address scholastic performance;
3. Verification of a negative tuberculin examination within the last four years;
4. Academic Achievement, verified through official transcripts from ALL institutions of higher education attended.
- Applicants must possess a minimum undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0 in all baccalaureate and post baccalaureate course work or at least 3.0 in the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units attempted;
5. Submission of an application for a certificate of clearance or evidence of a credential or permit authorizing public school teaching in California;
6. Satisfactory completion of prerequisite courses with a grade of "B" or better:
- 8ESPE 5530 Introduction to Special Education (3 units)
- ESPE 5531 Methods and Procedures in Special Education (3 units)
Students who do not meet these criteria may be admitted as conditionally classified graduate students. Students admitted in this category may be changed to classified standing with approval of the College of Education. No more than 9 semester or 12 quarter units may be used to demonstrate fitness to complete the program.