Important Deadlines for Admissions
Fall 2021 Deadlines
- Monday, June 4, 2021
Spring 2022 Deadlines (Application opens August 1, 2021)
- Monday, September 20, 2021
Steps to Applying to the Special Education Credential Program
Prior to being fully admitted to the program or applying for a credential, the following requirements must be met. * Candidates can be conditionally admitted to the program with passing scores on two out of three CSET examinations, and prior to completing the three prerequisite courses. If you have any questions, we highly recommend that you speak with an advisor and / or attend a prospective student information session.
- Pass CSET Exam or meet subject matter requirements per the CTC * (Early childhood special education option does not require CSET).
- Complete Basic Skills Requirement via 1) CBEST Exam, 2) all three subtests of the Multiple Subject CSET exam and the CSET: Writing Skills test, 3) CSU EAP, or 4) EPT/ELM exams
- Complete U.S. Constitution coursework or applicable exam (this must be completed and verified prior to applying for credential)
- Complete Prerequisite Courses (Prior to being fully admitted to the program)*:
o ESPE 530 § Introduction to Special Education (4 units)
o ESPE 531 § Methods & Procedures in Special Education (4 units)
o Child Development Course (birth-adolescence) e.g., HD 240; EELB 301 (4 units)
Step #1 –Apply to the University
- Apply as a post-baccalaureate/graduate student to:
Step #2 –Attend a Special Education Information Session
- Information sessions are available once per month at the San Bernardino Campus and the Palm Desert Campus. Please check the CSUSB web site on the Special Education Program web pages for dates, time, and location.
- Advising is also available through the Special Education Program Office and the Palm Desert Campus. Please contact the Special Education Credential Advisor by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on the San Bernardino campus at (909) 537-5621 or (760) 341-2883 x75621 or on the Palm Desert campus at (760) 341-2883 x78145 for more information.
Step #3 - Apply to Special Education Credential Program by submitting a Program Admission File (PAF) Preliminary Education Specialist Credential PAF includes:
- Application for Admission to the Special Education Credential Program
- Verification of attendance at a Special Education Information Session
- Official transcripts demonstrating a minimum cumulative grade point average of at least 2.67 in all baccalaureate and post baccalaureate course work or at least 2.75 in the last 90-quarter units attempted
- Official verification of passing CSET or subject matter requirement and Basic Skills Requirement
- A written, personal narrative to be reviewed by the Special Education Program Director.
- Documentation of 45 hours of experience in a K-12 classroom
- Two letters of recommendation
- Verification of a negative tuberculin test within the last four (4) years
- Submission of an application for certificate of clearance or evidence of a credential or permit authorizing public school teaching in California
- a $35.00 processing fee as evidenced by a “fee stamped” Fee Receipt from the Bursar’s office or verification of electronic payment via My Coyote Student Center.
Intern Option - include the following with PAF:
- Internship application
- Verification of completion of pre-service requirements
- Completion of the pre-requisite coursework
- copy of valid Preliminary or Clear teaching credential issued in California, OR petitions for course substitutions for ESPE 530 and ESPE 531, EELB 301 or HD 240 accompanied by (a) catalog course description or copy of course syllabus and (b) copy of transcript indicating successful completion (i.e., grade of B or better) of course taken at another institution
- ESPE 514 Seminar on Diverse learners with Special Needs (4 units)
Step #4 –Upon admission, attend the Mandatory New Student Orientation.
Admission to a Special Education Credential Program
In order to be admitted to the Education Specialist Credential Program, candidates must fully complete a Program Admission File (PAF). Only students being considered for admission to the university are eligible for admission to the credential program. The first step is to attend an Information Session at the San Bernardino Campus or at the Palm Desert Campus or schedule an individual advising session with the Special Education Credential Advisor or Intern Program Director by calling (909) 537-5621 or (760) 341-2883 x78145. The next step is to assemble your Program Admission File (PAF). The PAF includes the application, the documents you gather, and a 9 X 12 brown, clasp envelope in which you place the application and the documents. Please be aware of application deadlines for the quarter to which you are interested in applying. Submit your PAF to Program Admissions at ONE of the following locations:
- Program Admissions in the Jim and Judy Watson College of Education Student Services in CE 102 accepts applications Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Palm Desert Campus (PDC): The Palm Desert Campus Office hours are Monday Through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Fridays 9:00am-4:00pm or by appointment (760 341-2883 ext. 78145).
After your PAF has been reviewed you will be notified in five (5) to seven (7) working days regarding the status of your application for admission to the credential program. Files are reviewed as they are submitted. The earlier you submit your PAF, the earlier you will be notified and given permission to attend a New Student Orientation to complete your Program Plan and begin program coursework. A hold will be placed on your enrollment when you are accepted to the program until you attend a MANDATORY New Student Orientation.