Payroll News and Updates
2017 Direct Mailing of Form W-2 Wage & Tax Statement to CSUSB “State” Employees & Students
* The Form W-2 Wage Statement reflects wages paid by warrants and/or direct deposit payments that were issued during the tax year 2017, regardless of the pay period in which the wages were earned.
* The Form W-2 includes warrants/payments dated January 1st through December 31st of each calendar year. It contains all wages and tax information for an employee regardless of the number of State agencies/campuses for which he or she worked during the tax year. (Only one (1) Form W-2 is issued for each employee).
* All W-2 forms will be mailed no later than January 31st, directly from the State Controller’s Office (SCO) in Sacramento, to the employee’s mailing address on file with Payroll Services as of December 19, 2017.
* W-2s that are undeliverable by the United States Postal Service should be returned to our campus Payroll Office (Sierra Hall, Rm-103), based on our campus’ agency code printed on each W-2 form. Payroll Services will notify active/current employees and their respective department, via email, when undeliverable W-2s have been returned to us.
* Employees can retrieve their returned W-2 from Payroll Services (SH-103). Please bring your photo ID with you.
* Employees, who do not receive their W-2’s within a couple of weeks from when the SCO mailed them, may request that Payroll order a duplicate W-2 on their behalf, the $8.50 fee may be waived, providing the written request is received by Payroll prior to February 23, 2018.
* Employees who do not receive their W-2 Wage Statement by February 23, 2017, and did not request that Payroll order duplicate W-2’s on their behalf, will be required to request duplicate W-2 forms directly from the State Controller’s Office W-2 Unit at a cost of $8.50. Normally, during tax time, the SCO estimates a 2 – 3 week turn-around period. The sooner the request is mailed to the SCO’s W-2 Unit, the quicker you will receive your duplicate. Payroll cannot request duplicate W-2’s on behalf of employees after February 22, 2017.
* Prior to requesting a duplicate W-2, please contact your local Post Office to see if your W-2 Wage Statement may be there.
* Procedures for requesting duplicate W-2s can be found at the following web site: http://payroll.csusb.edu/docs/w-2reqstinfo.pdf
* For more information concerning the Form W-2, please visit the CSUSB Payroll web site to find General Information concerning your W-2 Wage and Tax Statement at
Mailing Address ~ Is It Correct?
Please review the bottom of your October pay stub issued in November 2017. This is the address to which the California State Controller’s Office (SCO) will mail your 2017 W-2 Wage Statement. Please ensure that the address listed is current and correct.
If the address listed at the bottom of the pay stub is not correct, or incomplete, please stop by one of the offices listed below to complete an Employee Action Request form (EAR – std 686):
- Staff – Human Resources @ SH-110
- Faculty, Instructional Student Assistants (ISA), Graduate Assistants (GA),
and Teaching Associates (TA) – Human Resources @ SH-110
- Students – Student Employment Office @ SH-119
- Non-Resident Alien (NRA) Students - CH-106
If you are no longer an employee of CSUSB and cannot come to campus to complete the EAR form, please contact HR at 909.537.5138 or Payroll Services at 909.537.5159.
If you are or have been employed at multiple campus' in 2017, please note all earnings from all CSUs will be included on one W-2.
Importance of Payroll Records
January 1, 2016
Payroll would like to remind you of the importance of keeping your paycheck stubs and/or Direct Deposit advices for your personal financial records. The State Controller's Office is our campus paying agent and issues our only 'official' pay records that are available. Payroll does not receive copies of paycheck stubs or Direct Deposit advices.
Our campus is a member of the Work Number employment and income verification program. This is an excellent tool that employees can use to request their personal information. The Work Number provides non-confidential employment and income information to verifiers (banks, lenders, rental companies, etc.) and alleviates this workload from human resources offices. Through the Work Number program an employee can provide a verifier with employment verification or employment/income verification. The Work Number program assures that only approved verifiers can utilize the program. The employment and income information that is provided through the Work Number program is obtained from the State Controller's Office employment history database and updated biweekly.
CSUSB state employees that participate in the Work Number program can request a free employment data report once a year. The employment data report is a copy of the information the Work Number provides to verifiers. Employees can obtain the Employee Data Request Form at The Work Number Web Site and mail or fax the request to the mailing address or fax number on the form. The Work Number program will mail the employee(s) a copy of her/his verification information within fifteen days of receipt of the request. There is no cost to the campus or employees to participate in the Work Number program.
CSUSB Payroll Department.