Where can I start my application?
Are there sample forms or templates to help me prepare my IRB application?
Why can my approval be delayed?
- Unclear applications
- Investigators not completing CITI training
- Not following directions
- Not understanding the federal regulations and/or CSUSB IRB policy for your study
- Not realizing the need to get permissions or other relevant documentation (e.g. Off-site locations)
- Not writing answers directly into the text boxes
- Taking a long time to respond to our feedback
Do collaborators outside CSUSB need to be on the IRB application?
If I want to share data with other researchers, do the researchers need to be on the IRB application (expedited and full board review)?
- If you plan to have the researchers involved in participant recruitment, data collection, and/or analysis of identifiable data, they need to be included on the application.
- If you decide you want to share data following data collection, an IRB modification is not necessary if the data is de-identified.
- If data is identifiable and you want to share the data, you will need to submit a modification with the researchers CITI certificate
Do I need to keep my IRB application open after I am done collecting data?
- Yes, if interactions with participants are still occurring in any way and/or if data is identifiable
- No, if interactions with participants are complete and the data is de-identified; the investigators should submit a closure for the study.
Do students have to be added to the IRB application?
- Yes and they need to be CITI trained
- Students cannot be listed as a PI, faculty advisor will need to be listed as the PI and contact person.
Do I need to close my IRB application?
- IRB applications should be closed if data collection is complete, there are no interaction with human participants, and data is de-identified.
- Data analysis of de-identified data and publication can still occur following a closure or expiration
How long will my review take?
- Non-Human Subject Research-Initial turnaround time is 7-10 business days.
- Administrative (Exempt) Review- Initial turnaround time is 7-10 business days.
- Expedited Review- Initial turnaround time is 14-20 business days.
- Full Board Review - Initial turnaround time is 30-40 business days.
For more information, see our website.