Main Content Region

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Is it difficult to be accepted into the Multiple Subject program?

No provided you supply completed applications that meet both University and College of Education marked deadlines and meet all requirements.

If I have taken a previous teaching credentialing course, how can I have it evaluated to see if it articulates into the CSUSB Multiple Subject program?

You can submit what is called a “Course Substitution Form” found at the College of Education’s Student Services, room 102. You would need to submit an unofficial transcript showing the completed class and a copy of the course description from a catalog or bulletin or the course syllabus.

What is a Multiple Subject Credential?

The Multiple Subject teaching credential authorizes the holder to teach all subjects in a self-contained classroom, such as classrooms in most elementary schools, in grades preschool, K-12, or in classes organized primarily for adults. In addition, the holder of a Multiple Subject teaching credential may serve in a core or team teaching setting.

The Commission on Teacher Credentialing has comprehensive leaflets listing all of the requirements for obtaining a 



If my GPA is too low to enter the credentialing program, can I still enter as a probationary student?

No, a 2.67 GPA or higher is absolutely required to enter the credentialing program at this time.

How do I become an elementary school teacher?

To become an elementary school teacher, you will need to complete an approved Multiple Subject teacher preparation program. There are several quarterly Multiple Subject Informational Meetings scheduled and/or you may contact the Admissions Advisor, Arlena Allende at or (909) 537-5291 for an appointment to obtain program admissions advisement.

In order to be officially admitted to the Multiple Subject or Multiple Subject Integrated Track credential program, you will need to apply for admission to the University and submit a Program Admission File (P.A.F.) to Program Admissions (CE-102): NOTE: The Multiple Subject credential program has a Bilingual Authorization option available.

During the quarter, when are courses offered?

Courses are offered both during the day and at night with the exception of teacher supervision that must be done during the day. Most courses will typically require one class meeting per week.

I work during the day. Can I still attend the program?

All of the credentialing courses could be taken in the latter afternoon, evening or Saturday. But teacher supervision is conducted during the elementary school day requiring the candidate to be at a school site, Monday through Friday, for two quarters. Candidates also have the option of reserving student teaching till the end of the program.

Do I have to pass the CBEST prior to taking Phase I courses?

Yes if you are enering the Multiple Subject program with the student teaching option.

What is the CBEST?

The California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) assesses future educators on basic reading, writing and mathematics skills. The format is given as a multiple choice with the exception of the writing section containing two essay topics.

Where will I do my Student Teaching and Classroom Observation?

In the CSUSB teacher credential program, we have a number of partner districts in which we place students. The CSUSB program has chosen this model for teacher preparation because the faculty and the districts (who are looking to hire the best prepared teachers) believe it is the optimal model to prepare new teachers. By being in the same school for your entire program, you are more likely to develop the trust and experience with the school necessary for you take over teaching responsibilities earlier and with confidence during student teaching. You will also learn better how the academic year develops for K-12 students having been with the same school for most of the year. Finally, this model provides continuity and access to a school for the completion of your Teaching Performance Assessment exams taken at various times in your program.

If I took Multiple Subject credentialing courses at another university, how many units would I be able to transfer?

You could with approval be allowed to transfer up to 14 quarter units or 9.3 semester units. You would be required to complete a course substitution form for each course.

How can I get additional information about the program?

We encourage candidates to either attend our quarterly Multiple Subject Informational Meetings or seek individual advisement at our College of Education by calling Ms. Arlena Allende (909) 537-5291 or

Can previously taken pre-requisite coursework at another university/college satisfy Multiple Subject credentialing requirements?

Yes they would but note that the ENG 311 and PSYC 350 or ESPE 350 would have to have been satisfied at a university since these are upper division courses.

What is the CSET?

The California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) satisfies the state requirement of subject matter competency in the areas that are to be taught. It consists of three separate subtests composed of both multiple-choice and short essay responses covering all the subjects taught in elementary school.

What applications are necessary?

There are two applications required for applicants who have a BA, one to the University at CSU Apply. The other application, is a series of documents called the Program Admissions File (PAF) and is directed to the College of Education.

Do I need the Reading Instruction Competency Assessment (RICA) to enter the credentialing program?

No you would be obligated to complete the RICA before applying for your teaching credential.

If I was a CSUSB Liberal Studies integrated track student, must I apply again to the university?

No but CSUSB General Track and all other candidates must apply.

What grades can I teach with a Multiple Subject Credential?

You can teach in K-8th grades. However a teacher authorized for multiple subjects may be assigned to teach in any self contained classroom.