Main Content Region

College Access

College Access for Undocumented Students in California 

Regardless of whether you are applying as a freshman or transfer student, the following information will help you apply to CSU San Bernardino as an undocumented student.

Apply Online

  1. Select a CSU campus to attend.
  2. Apply for admission during the priority filing period (October 1 - November 30) by filling out the CSU application at Cal State Apply​.
  3. Research how you will pay for college. If you’re seeking an AB 540 / AB 2000 / SB 68 exemption you will follow the same admission process as any other student. If you are granted an exemption, you will be charged in-state tuition and fees.

Things to Consider When Filling Out Your Application to the CSU

  1. ​Social Security number. The application will ask you to enter your Social Security number (SSN). If you have qualified for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and have been issued a SSN, you are required to enter that number on your application. If you do not have a SSN, you can leave that item blank on the application and the campus you are applying to will assign you a temporary number.
  2. Residency. Answer all questions about residency (where you currently live). If you meet AB 540 / AB 2000 / SB 68 guidelines and are being charged nonresident tuition, contact the CSUSB Office of Admissions at and submit a Califo​rnia Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request form.
  3. Once you have been accepted to CSUSB, be sure to file a California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request form with the school. Email the completed form and a copy of your high school and/or community college transcripts to 

    The law requires that the information you share on the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request form be kept confidential.  (See California Education Code §68130.5(d): "Student information obtained in the implementation of this section is confidential.") Student information is also protected by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Applying for Financial Aid

Completing the California Dream Act Application is the first step to securing financial aid. 

Review the USSC Financial Aid page for additional information and support.

For further questions, contact the USSC staff at