Designated Subjects Adult Education (AE) Teaching Credential
This credential is for those candidates seeking employment with an Adult Education or Correctional Education Institution. It also beneficial for persons teaching in a community college or private post-secondary environment.
Admission to the Program
Preliminary designated subjects credential requirements or program coordinator's permission. Complete orientation requirement prior to or within the first month of teaching or document 1 year teaching experience under a California Teaching Credential.
Appropriate work experience and a high school diploma (or the equivalent) are required for admission to the Designated Subjects Career and Technical (CTE) Teaching Credential Program. Applicants should have at least three years of verifiable work experience directly related to each industry sector named on the credential. One year must equal a minimum of 1000 clock hours. The experience may be full-time or part-time, paid or unpaid. One year of work experience must be within the last five years or two years of work experience must be within the last ten years in the area listed on the credential. Contact the Jim and Judy Watson College of Education Student Services Office for additional information on credential processing requirements.
Clear Credential Requirements
- ECTS 5010 or ECTS 6010: Principles and Methods for Teaching Designated Subjects
- ECTS 5020 or ECTS 6020: Instructional Support for Teaching Designated Subjects
- ETCS 5040 or ECTS 6040: Principles of Career and Technical Education
- ECTS 5180 or ECTS 6180: Field Work in Designated Subjects
- ECTS 5190 or ECTS 6190: Instructional Technology for Career and Technical Education
Students must also complete:
- The United States Constitution requirement (or successful completion of an examination administered through the College of Extended Learning) Current options:
- HIST 1460History of the United States: Pre-Colonization to Present3
- HIST 2000United States History to 18773
- HIST 5400Constitutional History of the United States3
- PSCI 2030Government of the United States3
- PSCI 4100American Constitutional Law3
- PSCI 4110The Bill of Rights
- Fulfill the health education requirement; current option HSCI 5240.
- Valid CPR card (Adult, child, Infant).
- Two (2) years of teaching experience.
The Preliminary Credential is used on the basis of documented work experience and the Clear Credential issued after the applicant has completed the indicated course work, met the health education requirement, and taught a minimum of two years under the Preliminary Credential.
Applicants having questions about Designated Subjects Credentials, the Bachelor of Arts in Career and Technical Studies, or the Bachelor of Science in Career and Technical Studies should contact the Program Coordinator of the specific program.