Announcements for Students
These are quick summaries. For further information, inquire at the Department Office (UH 235).
Support and Study
- Quick Guide to Undergraduate Diversity Issues in Philosophy from the American Philosophical Association.
- Carleton College sponsors a semester program of Buddhist studies (and meditation) in Bodh Gaya India. It's expensive but cool.
- Chancellor's Doctoral Incentive Program. The CSU Chancellor's Doctoral Incentive Program provides loans to support doctoral studies. These loans are gradually 'forgiven' if the recipient goes on to teach full-time in the CSU.
- CSUSB Office of Student Research: Faculty/Student Grant. The faculty/student grant supports joint faculty/student research.
- CSUSB Office of Student Research: Student Grant. The Office of Student Research Student Grant funds research beyond the classroom.
- American Philosophical Association: Summer Institutes. The APA sponsors a number of summer undergraduate diversity institutes in philosophy. These are a great opportunity and free to accepted students.
- Colorado Summer Seminar in Philosophy. The university of Colorado, Boulder summer seminar in philosophy is intended for outstanding undergraduates who are considering graduate school in philosophy.
- Carnegie-Mellon University: Summer School in Logic and Formal Epistemology. The Summer School in Logic and Formal Epistemology cool. A pair of CSUSB students attended summer 2016.
- Munich Center For Mathematical Philosophy: Summer School for Female Students. The Summer School in Mathematical Philosophy for Female Students is held in Munich Germany. A CSUSB student attended summer 2016.
- CSUSB Office of Student Research: Student Research and Travel. The CSUSB Office of Student Research supports travel to conferences. Application deadlines are distributed over the year. In addition there is an online application.
- CSUSB Office of Student Research: Pre-Doctoral Program. The California Pre-Doctoral Program provides financial assistance for students interested in exploring and preparing for a doctoral program.
Undergraduate Publications and Conferences
- A searchable list of undergraduate philosophy conferences
- Undergraduate Philosophy Conference
- The Mudd Undergraduate Conference in Ethics is an annual event. The next one will be held virtually on March 5-6, 2022.
- Undergraduate Philosophy Conference. The Pacific University Philosophy Conference is an annual event.
- Undergraduate Philosophy Journal. The Mudd Journal of Ethics is dedicated to the study of ethical issues.
- CSUSB Student Research Competition. The next CSUSB Student Research Competition will be held on February 11, 2022.
- Essay Contest. The Elie Wiesel Foundation sponsors an essay contest which 'challenges college students to analyze the urgent ethical issues confronting them in today's complex world.' There are cash prizes.
- Stance, call for papers. The undergraduate philosophy journal Ball State Stance welcomes papers concerning any philosophical topic.
- UC Graduate Admissions. The University of California has an Admissions website to assist with exploring options for graduate study. In the past CSUSB students have gone to UC Riverside, and UC Santa Barbara, and UC Davis.
- Master of Arts in Philosophy: California State University campuses that offer the MA in philosophy are CSU Los Angeles, CSU Long Beach, San Diego State, San Francisco State, and San Jose State. In recent times some CSUSB students have gone to CSU Los Angeles and CSU Long Beach.
- Master of Arts in Philosophy: Other departments offering the MA in philosophy include Tufts University, Brandeis University, Northern Illinois University, University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee, University of Houston, Virginia Polytechnic University, Colorado State University, Texas Tech University, University of Missouri, St. Louis, Western Michigan University, and Simon Fraser University. In recent times some CSUSB students have gone to Northern Illinois, Texas Tech, Western Michigan and Simon Fraser.