Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (PASC)
The Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (PASC) is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing that qualifies graduates to serve in any administrative position in the California Public Schools, TK-12.
Preliminary Administrative Services Credential Program and Masters of Arts Program are integrated. Twenty-eight (28) semester units are required for the credential program and an additional six (6) for the additional Master's in Educational Administration, for a total of 34 semester units.
In addition to being admitted to the University, applicants must also apply for admission to the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential and/or Masters of Arts in Educational Administration Program. Applicants must complete this step before they can advance to candidacy.
Please ensure you apply to the CSU San Bernardino campus. Application materials to be submitted include:
- A Program Application
- A copy of your valid California clear teaching, pupil personnel, librarian, health services credential, designated subjects (adult education career technical education, vocational education, or special subjects), school nurse, teacher librarian services, speech-language pathology or clinical or rehabilitative services.
- A 2-page essay responding to the following prompts:
- What are important leadership basics and skills and how are you working to acquire them?
- Identify and discuss current challenges facing school leaders in California.
- A letter from your District Personnel Office documenting the completion of minimum of four (4) years of full-time teaching. Substitute teaching does not qualify for program acceptance.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation (LOR). At least one (1) LOR has to be from a current school administrator.
- A copy of your successful completion of the Basic Skills Requirement (BSR) (e.g., CBEST, CSET: MS + Writing Skills, SAT/ACT, CSU EAP Placement Exam, College Board/AP Exam, Out of State BS Exam, Approved Coureswork, or Approved Coursework and Examination).
- A copy of transcripts from all higher educational institutions attended.
Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (PASC) Requirements
Please see the CSUSB Bulletin for the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (PASC) Requirements
Recommendation for the Credential
To be eligible to be recommended for the credential, a candidate must:
- Demonstrate mastery of the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) California Administrator Performance Expectations (CAPES) as evidenced by student portfolio, coursework, and student exit assessments.
- Successfully complete all program requirements prior to recommendation for the credential (see CSUSB Bulletin for the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential Requirements (PASC);
- Pass the new California Administrator Performance Assessment (CalAPA) which is required starting in Fall, 2019.
- Five Years of Experience prior to recommendation for the preliminary or intern credential
- Obtain recommendation from program coordinator.
The Preliminary Administrative Services Intern Credential (PASC) allows a student in the Preliminary Administrative Credential program to work as an administrator while in the program.
Any student who has completed admission requirements to the University, the College of Education Educational Administration Preliminary Administrative Services Credential Program (PASC), and meets all intern eligibility requirements may request a letter of eligibility to the intern pathway from the Intern Director. This eligibility letter can be used when applying for an administrative position with a school district in place of the preliminary administrative credential.
Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (PASC) Intern Requirements
Please see the CSUSB Bulletin for the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (PASC) Intern Requirements