Welcome to the Economics Department
We offer programs in Economics (B.A.) and Political Economy (B.A.). Both programs provide you with cutting-edge skills:
- Problem solving using formal mathematical methods
- A non-mathematical option, B.A. in Political Economy, with a strong emphasis on social justice issues and interdisciplinary coursework
- Quantitative data analysis in Excel, R, Python, and other programming languages
- Writing: communication of ideas and arguments through written expression, as well as job market preparation
- Critical thinking: a thorough understanding of economic models and alternative economic frameworks
The B.A. in Economics offers concentrations in general economics, mathematical economics, and applied economics. Depending on your concentration, you will be prepared for professions in business, banking, policy, or graduate school.
The B.A. in Political Economy focuses on the interaction between politics and economics and is ideal for government, legal, union, or non-profit work.
Check it Out! Podcast about the Economics Major
Matt Markin teamed up with Dr. MacDonald, Chair of the Economics Department, to talk about what the Economics Major is all about at CSUSB. Check out the link here:
A Tradition of Excellence
Our majors work in banks, government (local, state, and national), teaching, non-profits, and law, among other fields. Several have also gone on to Masters and PhD programs.
Our faculty are internationally recognized for their scholarship and are equipped with the latest skills in their research fields. You will learn from professors who are devoted to their profession and their students. They are committed to helping you gain the most out of your time at CSUSB.
Graduates from the Economics Department have expressed their appreciation for our program by contributing tens of thousands of dollars to special scholarships available only to current Economics students.
Skills and Training for a Rapidly Changing World
The program learning outcomes of our BA programs are:
- Majors will gain general and transferable skills, and
- Majors will have the ability to analyze the economy and society.
In addition, we aim to facilitate our majors' flourishing as individuals and as citizens.
Learn more about our B.A. programs here: BA in Economicsand BA in Political Economy