CSUSB Affordable Solutions Grant
The purpose of CSUSB Affordable Solutions Grant is to encourage faculty to choose, adopt and provide more affordable, quality educational materials for our students, while at the same time enhancing the overall educational experience.
By reducing CSUSB student course material expenses by 30% of the current textbook, more students acquire the course materials they need to succeed in order to graduate on time.
This Grant consists of $700 dollars either as stipend or professional Development money. The grants will be given at the end of the academic year upon completion of all the requirements.
Preference will be given to proposals not previously funded. A proposed project shall not duplicate any other project already funded by AL$ or from any other source within the university during the same academic year.
The application process itself is quite brief. To apply for the grant, please fill out the application form online (10 mins approx.)
Please prepare the following information before completing your application:
· Course name:
· Course #:
· Approx. enrollment:
· Quarter you will teach with AL$:
· Year and Quarter when the course was last taught without AL$:
· Previous textbook title, author and cost:
· Title of new textbook or instructional materials: (for help selecting your class materials visit Merlot and Cool4Ed)
· Cost of the new instructional materials:
· Course saving per student:
· Overall book savings for this course:
Please note that you will receive your incentive at the completion of all requirements, which are the following:
- A face-to-face PowerPoint presentation in the Affordable Learning Solutions (AL$) Showcase in May. Your presentation must contain the participant’s experience with the program successes and/or challenges of incorporating these materials into their course design, the total amount of money that students have saved, and useful resources, curated content or other helpful tips for faculty. (Date TBA).
- A public portfolio of the course on Merlot prepared no later than two weeks after the conclusion of the course. Please see examples in the Showcase
Please contact Dr. Cathy Swift, our Special Consultant to MERLOT to create an e-portfolio.Dr. Cathy will send you a brief questionnaire to response, and she will do all the work to publish it. E-portfolio template
- The required final report is simply a data collection mechanism (15 mins approx.).
- A brief dissemination video that will be prepared with the help of Academic Technologies & Innovation. This component is optional. Prepare to respond to the following questions and make an appointment with James Trotter (firstname.lastname@example.org) from IT in order to make a video based on your responses:
- What did you do to decrease student costs?
- How did you go about finding more affordable instructional materials?
- What do the students think about the new instructional materials?
- What advice would you give faculty interested in pursuing this program?
Here is a video showcasing some of last year's awardees.
If you have interested or have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
Bibiana Díaz – Coordinator Affordable Learning Solutions Program
Department of World Languages and LiteraturesPhone: (949) 331 7608