Important Deadlines for Applications
Spring 2022 Application Deadlines:
Monday, August 16, 2021 (Early Consideration)
Monday, September 6, 2021 (Priority Consideration)
Monday, October 4, 2021 (Late Consideration) *May only be recommended for Track B (3-semester) if you have not passed the CSET. CSET must be passed before student teaching.
The first step to admissions is to attend an information session for an overview of the Single Subject Credential Program and admission requirements.
Arlena Allende (Main Campus)
Program Admissions Advisor
Brenda Machuca (PDC Campus)
PDC Admissions Counselor
909-537-8109 / 760-341-2883 x78111
What is a Single Subject Credential?
What is a Single Subject Credential? A single subject credential authorizes a person to teach a specific subject or subjects in most middle schools and high schools.
The Single Subject program prepares teachers to become leaders in transformative education, an evolutionary process of change by which schooling practices become increasingly effective in promoting learning in urban settings. Inquiry and reflective practice are the foundations of the transformative process, a process that allows teachers to evaluate current school practices and imagine teaching and learning in new ways.
It is our goal to educate teachers who in turn can assist their students develop to their full potential and become reflective, contributing members of local, regional and global communities.
As a Program, these core values are the driving force that moves us to accomplish our mission and goals:
- INCLUSIVITY: We affirm and are committed to the value of all kinds of differences among students, faculty and staff. Inclusivity that is broad and deep makes us a healthier and more productive organization and builds a culture that fosters engagement and diverse perspectives.
- INNOVATION: We support and believe in an innovative culture and attitude that fosters the creative and deliberate application of teaching, research, scholarship and service for effective education.
- INTEGRITY: We affirm and are committed to the truth. We demonstrate our integrity by being ethical, matching what we say with what we do, and by ultimately taking responsibility for our actions.
- RESPECT: We believe in and are committed to the virtue of respect and will treat everyone with courtesy and kindness.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE and EQUITY: We believe in, affirm, and are committed to the equal value and dignity of all people. Fairness and equity are more than equality. We actively seek to eliminate barriers for those who are disadvantaged and disempowered so they may participate fully in university life.
An overview of the Single Subject Credential Program
Completion of the CSET (California Subject Examination for Teachers) in the specialty teaching area you are planning to teach.
Completion of one of the following CTC approved subject matter waiver preparation programs at this university.
|Single Subject Credential||Degree Major|
|Art||B.A. Art (Plan I)|
|Chemistry||Waiting for Approval|
|English||B.A. English (ETPP)|
|Foreign Language||B.A. Spanish (Hispanic Language, Literature and Civilization - Teaching)|
|Foundational Mathematics/Mathematics||BS in Mathematics - Teaching Concentration (BSTC)|
|Music||Waiting for Approval|
|Physical Education||B.S. Kinesiology (Pedagogy)|
The Single Subject Credential Program offers preparation in the areas of:
- World Languages (French and Spanish only),
- Mathematics/Foundational Mathematics,
- Physical Education,
- Sciences, and
- Social Sciences.
Below are the available program options:
Student Teaching Option
- Track A (2 Semesters)
- Track B (3 Semesters)
- Seniors may take up to three courses (ESEC 4001, 4003, & 4004) prior to entering the program. The candidates will be interns ready by the time they are admitted. Please see the application for the requirements.
- Track C (Start in Senior Year for seniors with light BA schedules only)
- Track D (3 Semesters)
Financial Aid & Grants
Financial Aid offers several grants for the teacher credential program. Contact Financial Aid Office for details.
English Learner Authorization
Graduates for the CSUSB Single Subject Program will hold an English Learner Authorizations that permits the teacher to provide integrated English Language Development, ELD instruction, and Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English, SDAIE within their content area.
A holder of a Single Subject Credential may add a second credential in a different subject without completing the full preparation program. See CTC requirements (.pdf) for more information.
Please contact the Credential Processors (Monica & Jenifer) at (909) 537-5609 for all advising regarding credentials. For more information, please visit the Student Services website.
AY2019 - 2020
You are invited to seek advisement that will help you plan and progress smoothly through the program by contacting the program admissions advisor located in the Student Services Office at (909) 537-5291 or see an advisor at our Palm Desert Campus Teacher Education Office at (909) 537-8108.
Who do I contact for assistance?
New students - please contact the coordinators.
- Dr. Beck Sumbera - Single Subject Coordinator (Secondary) - CE-249
- Dr. Karen Escalante - Multiple Subject Coordinator (Elementary) - CE-275
|Dr. Jordan Fullam||Art & Music||CE 245|
|Dr. Mark Groen||Social Sciences||CE 271|
|Dr. Jacqueline Hughes||Math||CE 324|
|Dr. Nicole Klimow||English||CE 246|
|Dr. Jacqueline Romano||World Languages||CE 247|
|Dr. Beck Sumbera||New Students & Interns||CE 249|
|Dr. Mick Verdi||Science||CE 270|
|Dr. Xinying Yin||Sabbatical||CE 328|
|Dr. Chuck Mendoza||Physical Education||CE 255|
Your success in completing a program with satisfaction is the faculty and my gratification. Working together, we can achieve your goal of earning a credential.
Dr. Becky Sumbera
Single Subject Credential Program Coordinator
Department of Teacher Education and Foundations
Office: CE 249