The first step to admissions is to attend an information session for an overview of the Single Subject Credential Program and admission requirements. Please sign-up for a session to start your journey of being an educator.
Minority Male Teacher Pipeline WEBSITE.
Program Admission Advisors
What is a Single Subject Credential?
A Single Subjects Credential authorizes a person to teach a specific subject or subjects in most middle schools and high schools.
The Single Subject program prepares teachers to become leaders in transformative education, an evolutionary process of change by which schooling practices become increasingly effective in promoting learning in urban settings. Inquiry and reflective practice are the foundations of the transformative process, a process that allows teachers to evaluate current school practices and imagine teaching and learning in new ways.
It is our goal to educate teachers who in turn can assist their students develop to their full potential and become reflective, contributing members of local, regional and global communities.
As a Program, these core values are the driving force that moves us to accomplish our mission and goals:
- INCLUSIVITY: We affirm and are committed to the value of all kinds of differences among students, faculty and staff. Inclusivity that is broad and deep makes us a healthier and more productive organization and builds a culture that fosters engagement and diverse perspectives.
- INNOVATION: We support and believe in an innovative culture and attitude that fosters the creative and deliberate application of teaching, research, scholarship and service for effective education.
- INTEGRITY: We affirm and are committed to the truth. We demonstrate our integrity by being ethical, matching what we say with what we do, and by ultimately taking responsibility for our actions.
- RESPECT: We believe in and are committed to the virtue of respect and will treat everyone with courtesy and kindness.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE and EQUITY: We believe in, affirm, and are committed to the equal value and dignity of all people. Fairness and equity are more than equality. We actively seek to eliminate barriers for those who are disadvantaged and disempowered so they may participate fully in university life.
The Single Subject Credential Program offers preparation in the subject areas of:
- World Languages (French and Spanish)
- Foundational-level Mathematics
- Physical Education
- Sciences (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Geo Sciences)
- Foundational-level Science
- Social Sciences
- Theater (Starting in Fall 2022)
Available Program Options:
Student Teaching Option
- Track A (2 Semesters)
- Track B (3 Semesters)
- Track C (2 Semesters after requirements are met, meeting with coordinator, and approval)
- Please contact Dr. Sumbera for Intern Advising firstname.lastname@example.org
Seniors may take up to three courses prior to entering the program if they have a light schedule (9 units or less). Please contact the coordinator to receive the application, requirements, and schedule an interview.
- currently being updated for Fall 2022 - check back soon!
To meet Subject Matter Competency requirement, the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) has approved CSUSB in the following subject matter waiver preparation content areas:
|Single Subject Credential||Degree Major|
|Art||B.A. Art (Plan I)|
|English||B.A. English (ETPP)|
|Foreign Language||B.A. Spanish (Hispanic Language, Literature and Civilization - Teaching)|
|Foundational Mathematics/Mathematics||B.S. Mathematics - Teaching Concentration (BSTC)|
|History/Social Science||B.A. History (Pre-credential Concentration)|
|Music||B.A. Music (BA of Music)|
|Physical Education||B.S. Kinesiology (Pedagogy)|
|Theater||B.A. Theater Fall 2022|
Financial Aid & Grants
CSUSB Financial Aid offers several grants for the teacher credential program students. Contact Financial Aid Office for details.
English Learner Authorization
Graduates of the CSUSB Single Subjects Program will hold an English Learner Authorizations that permits the teacher to provide integrated English Language Development (ELD) instruction, and Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English (SDAIE) within their subject content area.
A holder of a valid California Single Subjects Credential or a Multiple Subject Credential may add a credential in a different subject content area if they are able to demonstrate subject matter competency and complete a methods course. See CTC requirements (.pdf) for more information.
Who do I contact for assistance?
New students - please contact the coordinators:
- Dr. Nicole Klimow- Single Subject Co-Coordinator (Secondary) - CE-246
- Dr. Mick Verdi - Single Subject Co-Coordinator (Elementary)