As a prelude to Earth Day, the CSUSB Office of Sustainability will hold a number of virtual events as part of Sustainability Week 2021, April 19-23, to highlight activities to help the environment and introduce positive habits that benefit a person’s finances, the environment and social well-being.
The events will focus on career advice, food tips, movie recommendations, community engagement, and informational material to help educate the community in adopting more sustainable habits and overall lifestyle.
Visitors to the Sustainability Week website and the campus community are encouraged to use the hashtag #ResilientCSUSB in their social media posts, take the small paw pledge, or email firstname.lastname@example.org and be resilient!
The events include:
Monday, April 19
- 10-11 a.m.: Careers in Sustainability Panel Session. CSUSB alumni talk about their experiences working jobs related to environmental justice, conservation and sustainability in the region. Presented by the Inland Empire Resource Conservation District. Register at Zoom, Code - 823 6050 7516.
- 5 p.m.: Sustainable Fashion – Learn about sustainable fashion, trends and the importance of Slow Fashion. Hosted by Associated Students Inc. Register at Zoom, Code - 892 5890 4124.
Tuesday, April 20
- 1 p.m.: Bree Putman, an assistant professor of biological sciences, talks about participating in the 2021 City Nature Challenge, which runs from April 30 to May 3. Register at Zoom, Code - 843 5782 4116.
- 6-9 p.m.: Author and journalist Mark Arax talks about his newest book “The Dreamt Land: Chasing Water and Dust Across California.” Register at Mark Arax Eventbrite.
Wednesday, April 21
- Noon-1 p.m.: No Waste Pesto – Learn how to make a zero waste pesto with chefs from Yotie Eats. Register at Sustainability Cooking.
- Ongoing until May 13, 2021: Free Exercise Consultation. Get a free 15-minute exercise consultation from the university’s Exercise is Medicine on Campus (EIM-OC), whose mission is to foster collaborative relationships and leadership on campus between exercise, health and other disciplines that support the EIM-OC vision and goals. For a consultation visit the EIM-OC Virtual Exercise Consultation Room.
Thursday, April 22
- Noon-1:30 p.m.: CSU Earth Day 2021 – Taking Action for People & the Planet. A panel discussion and question-and-answer breakout sessions with young leaders of the intersectional environmental and climate justice movement. Register at CSU Taking Action event site.
Friday, April 23
- 9-11 a.m.: Sustainability Cooking Class. Sustainability co-chair and health science and human ecology professor Dorothy Chen-Maynard cooks various recipes and shares valuable tips for healthy meal preparations. Visit the Sustainability Cooking Class Zoom site.
For more information visit the CSUSB Office of Sustainability website.