Welcome to the M.S. in Environmental Sciences and M.S. in Geology programs!
These programs are hosted collaboratively by the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and the Department of Geological Sciences. Here you will find information for potential applicants and current graduate students.
MS in Environmental Sciences:
MS in Geology:
- Continuous Enrollment: Graduate students are required to be continuously enrolled (with some exceptions for summer). A zero-unit course is available to maintain continuous enrollment: https://www.csusb.edu/pace/courses-programs/education/continuous-enrollment-graduate-candidacy-standing
Theses and Projects completed to date:
- Burns, James (Geology)
- Gitau, Josephine (Env. Sci.)
- Ewing, Rama, 2022, Spatiotemporal change detection of the alpine meadows at Holcomb Valley, San Bernardino Mountain National Forest, using GIS and remote sensing techniques, 175 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1595
- Darrow, Devin, 2022, The effectiveness of vest management practices implemented at Lake Gregory, Crestline, CA, 85 p.,
- Estrada, Jovany, 2022, Using a Geospatial Analysis Tool to Visualize Water Impairments and Engage Stakeholders in the San Bernardino National Forest, 62 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1438
- Frey, Anna, 2022, Identifying associations between human-environmental factors and water quality trends observed at perennial headwater streams of the San Bernardino National Forest, CA, 105 p. https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1448
- Hunter, Lenai, 2022, identification and analysis of the contribution of various sources of total dissolved solids (TDS) in Lake Elsinore potable water and wastewater, 104 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1489
- Chavez, Luz, 2021, Laboratory investigation of cyanide evolution during reaction between hypochlorous acid and glycine, 63 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1302/
- VonSydow, Kathryn, 2021, Reconstructing the 1856-7 California mining patterns from placer gold recovered from the wreck of the SS Central America, 144 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1318
- Ukaru, Sandra, 2021, EPA applications to identify headwater watershed changes and best management practices in the San Bernardino National Forest, 154 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1260
- Blua, Madeline, 2020, Correlations between soil redness and soil properties that affect non-native annual plant distribution in chaparral and California sage scrub, 103 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1068/
- Rex, Elias, 2020, Geospatial applications to mitigate concentrated animal feeding operations from impacting surface water resources, 86 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1108
- Rivera, Graciela, 2020, Low Impact Development Best Management Practices Comprehensive Overview and Case Study, 261 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/1062/
- Castillo, Bryan, 2019, Ages of prehistoric earthquakes on the Banning strand of the San Andreas Fault near north Palm Springs, California, 84 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/877/
- Mamari, May, 2019, Occurrence and potential sources of Cd, Cu, and Pb in reach 6 of the Santa Ana River, 58 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/933/
- Mora, Jose A. 2019, spatio-temporal assessment of headwater streams in the San Bernardino National Forest, 76 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/957/
- Peña, Kyle, 2019, Paleoseismology of the central Garlock Fault in Searles Valley. California, 65 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/956/
- Thorp, Steven G., 2019, Environmental Assessment of Arsenic and Mercury Levels at the Garfield Mill Site, Calico, California, 109 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/922/
- Caporuscio, Elizabeth, 2018, Evaluation of a sequential pond system for detention and treatment of runoff at Skypark, Santa's Village, 106 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/773/
- Do, Clement, 2017, Evaluation of a filtration sorbent for remediation of arsenic in groundwater, 43 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/474/
- Budicin, Anthony N., 2016, Analysis of drought associated impacts on the city of San Bernardino municipal water department’s wastewater flow rates and constituent concentrations, 158 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/319/
- Valentine Vecorina, Rominna E., 2016, Arsenic analysis: comparative arsenic eroundwater concentration in relation to soil and vegetation, 50 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/279/
- Vela, Arturo C., 2015, Potential for use of effluent wastewater treated by soil aquifer treatment in Banning, California, 116 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/210/
- Crane, Thomas M., 2014, Qualitative comparison of offset surfaces between the central and eastern Garlock Fault, 124 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/119
- Engel, Megan D., 2014, The feasibility of chaparral restoration on type-converted slopes, 174 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/108
- Grill, Nicolette, 2014, Economic geology of the San Bernardino Mountains, California, 105 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/102/
- Howe, Catherine, 2014, A review of the removal of Arundo donax from a riparian area within San Timoteo Canyon, 102 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/106/
- Pelham, Todd, 2014, Degradation of protective glove materials exposed to commercial products: a comparative study of tensile strength and gravimetric analyses, 72 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/107/
- Steele, Kandace M., 2014, Surface area as a method for the determination of glove degradation, 44 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/105/
- Thomas, Malcolm D., 2014, Refraction microtremor analysis of areas surrounding California State University San Bernardino, 89 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd/120/
- Feenstra, Brandon, 2013, Comparison and evaluation of black carbon and elemental carbon instrumentation in a near roadway environment.
- Lopez, Amanda, 2013, Stable isotope record of Archean and Cambrian serpentinizing fluid composition from stichtite (Mg-Cr carbonate hydroxide).
- Shen, Junjie, 2013, The contribution of small anthropogenic particulates (SAP) to the sediment load of a major ephemeral fluvial system, Santa Ana River (SAR), Southern California.
- Thomas, Jason J., 2013, A comprehensive approach to alluvial fan management: a case study of Travertine Point, Coachella Valley.
- Bertolacci, David C., 2012, in situ bioremediation of perchlorate in soil and groundwater.
- Farmer, Mackensey A., 2012, Feasibility of implementing alternative energy technology on a high school campus.
- Franklin, Rebecca L., 2012, Modeling erosion and sediment delivery on mountain roads in Upper Deep Creek.
- Hallberg, Kathryn B., 2012, Watershed sanitary survey: Oak Glen Watershed.
- Howard, Matthew E., 2012, Investigation of arsenic in the transition zone basin of the Mojave River.
- Velasquez, Christina M. L. 2012, Geochemical classification of placer and lode gold deposits within the Northern Rock Mountains of the Quartzsite mining district, AZ.
- Torres, Eric S., 2011, Chemical characterization of Lake Gregory.
- Adane, Zablon, 2010, Estimated area of impervious paring surfaces and the potential groundwater recharge increase through permeable pavement retrofit in the Chino Basin.
- Guill, Rebekah C., 2010, A review of emerging pollutants of concern in drinking water and wastewater.
- Krupnak, Natasha M., 2010, Bacteria monitoring and assessment project at Canyon Lake, California.
- Norton, Harvey, 2010, An evaluation of lead concentrations in surface soils and sediments within Lytle Creek Drainage Basin.
- Rodriguez, Amanda R., 2010, An applied investigation of Nafion membranes in PEM fuel cells: durability issues.
- Gomez, Abigail Z., 2009, Meeting future challenges of water and energy demand using watershed management strategies in the Inland Empire.
- Haggard, Sheri M., 2009, Investigation of anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions generated through the production of Portland cement and a comparison of mitigation strategies.
- Long, Barbara E., 2009, Nutrient analysis of the estuarine and river waters of the Santa Margarita River estuary.
- Lutes, Heather M., 2009, Cyanide analysis in wastewater.
- Miller, Melissa D., 2009, The promotion and prevention of Ahwahnee water principles for resource efficient land use in the cities of Ontario and San Bernardino.
- Bell, Jennifer M., 2008, A cost benefit analysis for the denitrification of waste water utilizing wetlands versus wastewater treatment facilities, 181 p., https://scholarworks.lib.csusb.edu/etd-project/3428/
- Meier, Travis W., 2008, Effects and response of dual phase extraction (DPE) remediation on the former Sun City Soco gas station.
- Sloat, Alison R., 2008, Characterization of natural spring waters of the San Bernardino Mountains using stable isotopes of oxygen and hydrogen.