Campus Listservs Policy
Source / AuthorityFor interpretation of this policy, please contact: Information Technology Services, (909) 537-5100.
This policy is a revision of the previous "Policy on Campuswide List Serves" which was approved by President Karnig on April 24, 2001 and the "Campus List Server Policy" which was approved by the Administrative Council on December 4, 1995. The policy incorporates changes to subscription procedures for campus listservs. It is anticipated that the policy revision will better organize campus communications among these listservs.
The purpose of this policy is to manage the flow of various types of information among campus listservs in an efficient and economical manner.
No single message shall be posted to more than one listserv.
No promotional, sale, or offer by (or on behalf of) any commercial institution shall be posted on a CSUSB listserv, except for those authorized or sponsored by the University.
Information Technology Services will post this policy periodically on CSUSB listservs.
All postings must comply with applicable law, CSUSB Acceptable Use Policy for Electronic Communications, and CSU System-wide Responsible Use Policy.
There shall be an two unmoderated listserv on which active and retired employees of the university community may post notices:
- FORUM, which will be used for discussion and debates; and
- BB, which will be available for posting by members of the University community of notices regarding such things as animals needing homes, inspirational stories, and any other item of person interest.
There shall be a CAMPUS listserv on which University divisions, departments, and University-recognized organizations may post notices and announcements regarding official University related information and events.
CAMPUS listserv may contain active and retired employees. New email accounts will be subscribed to CAMPUS upon their account creation; individuals may unsubscribe or re-subscribe by following the procedures on the ITS website.
There shall be four listservs on which University administrators (President, Provost, Vice Presidents, Associate Provosts, Associate and Assistant Vice Presidents, Deans) and their designees may post official and critical University communications to targeted campus constituencies. Because the primary purpose of these closed listservs is to facilitate executive-level communications, access to the service is limited.
- COLLEAGUES listserv contains all active faculty and staff members;
- FACULTY listserv contains all active faculty members;
- STAFF listserv contains all active staff employees;
- STUDENTS listserv contains all currently enrolled students.
Subscription to closed listservs is based on University employment and enrollment status, and is managed by Information Technology Services. Individuals may not unsubscribe to COLLEAGUES, FACULTY, STAFF, and STUDENTS.
Requests for other types of University business communications may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Consideration and approval by the Vice President for Information Technology Services is required for any exceptions to this Policy.
University divisions, departments and University-recognized organizations are eligible to request a listserv on the campus system for academic and administrative purposes. Individual listservs are subject to annual renewal and may be terminated if there is violation of the Acceptable Use Policy for Electronic Communications.
- Listserv owners will be responsible for the maintenance of their own list.
- Listservs shall be by subscription only. Campuswide subscription is not allowed on individual lists.
- Listservs shall not be open to off-campus subscribers unless special permission is obtained.