Option to enroll in courses via the College of Extended Learning.
For information regarding the completion of the Certificate Program through the College of Extended Learning please visit the CEL website.
Regular CSUSB Students
For quarters: to enroll in Span 251, you need Span 103 or equivalent
For semesters: to enroll in Span 2251, you need Span 1112
General information about CSUSB Undergraduate Certificates
For more information please contact Prof. Carmen Dagostino (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- To prepare students in the healthcare fields to serve the growing Latino population in the Inland Empire and beyond.
- Courses focus on specialized medical terminology and cross-dialectal and cross-cultural variation within Latin American and US Spanish. With an emphasis on culturally appropriate communication and interaction added to all courses.
- Designed for students in Spanish, Nursing, Health Science, Kinesiology, and Social work
- For semester curriculum go 2021 CSUSB Bulletin Certificate in Healthcare Spanish page.
- Most courses are offered in hybrid & online format
|Course Number||Course Title/Units|
|Span 2251||Intermediate Healthcare Spanish I (4 units)|
|Span 2252||Intermediate Healthcare Spanish II (4 units)|
|Span 3051||Culture, Health, and Food in Latin America (3 units)|
|Span 4401||Spanish for the Professions: Medical (3 units)|
|Span 4402||Spanish for the Professions Activity (1 unit)|
|Span 5557 or equivalent||
Study Abroad/International Experience (3 units)
[Or: SPAN 4443, SW 4011, SW 4012 or any 5000-level internship related to healthcare]
- Span 2251 offered each Fall and Spring
- Span 2252 offered each Fall and Spring
- Span 3051 offered each Fall
- Span 4401 offered each Spring
- Span 4402 offered each semester
- Span 4443 offered each semester
- Span 5557 offered each Summer
(second year language courses)(13 units)
Intermediate Medical Spanish I
Intermediate Medical Spanish II
Intermediate Medical Spanish III
Junior Assessment (1 unit)
|Upper Division(16 units)||
4 units from:
Spanish for the Professions (Medical)
Culture, Health, and Food in Latin America
4 units from:
Spanish in the United States
Latin American Civilization
Lower-Division: Span 103 or equivalent (e.g. challenge exam) needed for Span 251
Span 251 may be waived, Credit by exam for Span 252 (offered each Quarter in Week 8; discontinued after Spring 2020)
Semester Program Brochure
Purpose of the Certificate
The Certificate in Healthcare Spanish is a specialized language program for students in Nursing, Health Sciences, Kinesiology, Psychology, and Social Work. The purpose of the Certificate Program is to prepare students in the healthcare fields to serve the growing Latino population in California. Download the Certificate in Spanish Healthcare Program Brochure for more details.
The previous quarter system brochure is available here.