CSUSB Campus Evacuation Procedure
Reviewed By: Administrative Council on
Approved By: President Morales on
President’s Office, delegated to Administration and Finance, (909) 537-5130
A campus evacuation will occur when a decision has been made that all persons must leave campus immediately in the interest of public safety.
- The university president or designee may authorize an evacuation of the San Bernardino and/or Palm Desert campus.
- CSUSB will notify the campus community using the Emergency Notification System (ENS) upon confirmation of the decision to evacuate the campus. The campus community should follow the messaging as to how to immediately exit the campus.
- Employees required to remain on campus after the official closure will be notified by the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
Evacuation may involve a tiered system of egress based on location or impact. The administrator in charge may elect to declare an evacuation from campus in the following manner:
- Students may be asked to leave the campus immediately.
- Employees may be instructed to remain on campus until students have exited the campus.
- Employees may be instructed to leave campus immediately thereafter.
- Detailed egress routes can be found on the Traffic Evacuation Map.
- Departments with operations involving external groups are responsible for communicating the status of campus to these groups.
- Students living in campus residence halls will receive specific direction from the Office of Housing and Residential Education.
- Depending on the nature of the evacuation, points of egress from campus may be limited. The Emergency Notification System (ENS) will provide information on egress controls and the location of a pickup zone for those awaiting transportation off campus. During an evacuation, ingress to campus will be restricted. OmniTrans bus routes may be modified depending on the nature of the evacuation.
- Notice will be provided via ENS as to when campus will reopen. Instructions for attendance and payroll will be provided to the campus community via e-mail after the closure.