Return of the Pack Stay Informed
Main Content Region

Payroll Deductions

What are the payroll deductions?

Payroll deductions are reported to the State Controller's Office W-2 Unit for tax withholding as follows:

  • Federal Income Tax
  • State Income Tax
  • Social Security
  • Medicare

Your payroll deductions might also include retirement contributions, union dues, parking fees and voluntary deductions for medical, dental, fee waiver program, etc.

What information is available on my pay warrant and direct deposit advice?
How do I cancel my miscellaneous deductions (e.g. charitable deductions)?

Miscellaneous deductions are processed directly between the State Controller's Office (SCO) and the organizations providing them.

Employees desiring to cancel voluntary miscellaneous payroll deduction(s) should contact the respective company/companies. An employee may write to SCO Payroll operations to request the cancellation of the following deductions:

  • Charitable contributions
  • credit union
  • insurance
  • membership dues
  • parking
  • state agency programs, etc.

Cancellation requests must be sent to the SCO and must include the following information:

  • Statement requesting the deduction cancellation(s)
  • Employee's full name
  • Employee's social security number
  • Deduction(s) to be canceled by deduction name as it appears on the earnings statement and/or by deduction/organization code, if known
  • Employee's mailing address
  • Employee's original signature
  • Date request(s) signed

The employee must send a written request for assistance to:

State Controller's OfficePPSD Payroll OperationsMiscellaneous Deduction UnitP.O. Box 942850Sacramento, CA 94250-5878

Payroll operations will notify the company affected by the administrative cancellation. Employees should check their Statement of Earnings and Deductions to verify that cancellation(s) occurred. It is the employee's responsibility to ascertain that administration cancellation requests are honored.

To cancel voluntary miscellaneous payroll deductions not listed above, employees must contact either the organization through which deduction(s) is/are withheld.

How can I be reimbursed for the retirement I have paid, since my employment at CSUSB?

One can only be reimbursed for retirement if he/she separates from CSUSB and other 'state' service. Requests for reimbursement can be made via the Human Resources Department/Benefits (Sierra Hall, Room 110).

How do I cancel my parking deductions?

Contact the Bursar's Office (University Hall, Room 035) for instructions and forms to cancel parking deductions. This action must be requested, as it does not automatically happen.

What can cause additional taxes to be deducted from my warrant, if I did not make changes to my tax exemptions?

Taxable benefits received, such as: Graduate Program Tuition Fee waiver; meals, lodging and travel expenses; rideshare incentives; domestic partner benefits, etc. can cause additional taxes to be deducted.


How do I change my federal and state income tax withholdings?

To change your Federal and State income tax withholdings, please visit the Payroll Department in Sierra Hall, Room 103 and complete an Employee Action Request form (EAR).

You may also use the SCO Paycheck Calculator to view an estimate of the net pay and other payroll deductions before completing the EAR form.