Child development students enrolled at CSUSB may apply to work as an assistant teacher at our center.
Assistant Teacher Requirements:
- HD 270/ CD 2250 (required)
- HD 271/272/ CD 2251/2252 and CD 2215 OR PSYC 3303 (preferred)
- At least 6 units of Child Development courses
- Up to date immunizations/TB test
Sample Duties/Responsibilities of an assistant teacher:
- Provide a safe, secure and nurturing environment for children enrolled in the program
- Engage with children in developmentally appropriate teacher-child interactions
- Participate in collecting and preparing materials for daily activities
- Interact with the children and encourage their involvement in activities
- Manage children’s behavior using positive guidance techniques and limit setting
- Assist teachers in observing and documenting children’s learning
- Plan and implement activities based off children’s current interests
- Cleaning responsibilities: maintenance of order and neatness in indoor and outdoor classrooms, sanitize according to licensing regulations, sweeping, mopping, and other duties as assigned
To apply, please fill out an application via our job posting on the CSUSB handshake website.
All internship opportunities are arranged directly through the CD 5755 course. For questions regarding Child Development internships, please email: email@example.com
Interns will be given an Intern/Lab Student Handbook that must be read in full before being allowed in the classrooms with the children. Interns must provide an ID/driver's license, proof of a current TB test (this proof must be no older than one year), proof of both measles and pertussis vaccinations, and a signed Intern/Lab Student Handbook Acknowledgement.
Lab Student Policies
CSUSB students enrolled in CD 2251/2291 and/or CD 2252/2292 may complete lab hours at the center during the winter and spring quarters. Students MUST first sign up in class with the instructor before coming to the center. Lab students will be given an Intern/Lab Student Handbook that must be read in full before being allowed in the classrooms with the children. Lab students must provide an ID/driver's license, proof of a current TB test (this proof must be no older than one year), proof of both measles and pertussis vaccinations, and a signed Intern/Lab Student Handbook Acknowledgement.
Observation Students (CD 2244)
Students enrolled in CD 2244 at CSUSB may complete their 15 hours of observation at the Children’s Center. You must sign up for hours with our administrative assistant prior to starting. You will be required to provide a current TB test (no more than 1 year old from start date) and a form of i.d. prior to starting. For more information, or to enroll in observation hours, please call (909) 537-5661.