Military service members and veterans who were absent from CSUSB for service in the Armed Forces are eligible to return to CSUSB based on the following provisions:
- Absence is due to active duty service in the Armed Forces, including the National Guard or Reserves, for more than 30 days.
- The service member or veteran provides CSUSB Advising and Academic Services with either:
- Advance notice that the need for a leave of absence is due to military service via the LEAVE OF ABSENCE FORM, or
- Upon return, provide documentation that the absence was due to service in the Armed Forces.
- Examples of such documentation include a DD214, a copy of orders, etc.
The service member or veteran must notify the CSUSB Office of the Registrar of the intent to re-enroll within 3 years of completion of military service.
A student who is injured during or becomes ill as a consequence of military service must submit his/her intent to re-enroll no later than 2 years after the end of the period that is necessary for recovery from such illness or injury. Upon notification of intent to re-enroll, students will be required to submit the
The cumulative length of all absences for service in the Armed Forces may not exceed five years. This period includes only the time spent actually performing service, not the period before reporting for duty and the time between completing service and returning to the institution.
Students will return to the same academic program with the same enrollment and academic status as when the absence began. Students will return to the next class or classes in their program after they provide notice of their intent to re-enroll.
Eligibility of readmission is terminated upon any of the following circumstances:
- Dishonorable or bad conduct discharge from the Armed Forces.
- Dismissal as permitted under section 1161(a) of Title 10, United States Code.
- Drop from the rolls pursuant to section 1161(b) of Title 10, United States Code.
A service member or veteran who does not meet these criteria is subject to current CSUSB admissions requirements and may apply for readmission by submitting the CSUMentor application and application fee during the CSU admissions period.
As provided for in the California Education Code 66023, CSUSB will refund fees paid by the student for the term in which he or she was called to active military service.
Based on federal regulations, institutions have the discretion to determine whether a student is prepared to return to his or her program with the same academic status at the point where the student left off, or will not be able to complete the program. CSUSB will make reasonable efforts at no extra cost to the student to help the student become prepared or to enable the student to complete the program with additional assistance such as providing refresher courses at no extra cost to the student and allowing the student to retake a pretest at no extra cost to the student.
For more information on U.S. Military leaves of absence, and for absences less than 3 quarters, contact the Veteran Success Center at (909) 537-7196. For 3 or more quarters, contact the Office of Advising and Academic Services at (909) 537-5034 and view this