This grant is offered by the Extended Reality for Learning Lab at CSUSB (xREAL) is designed to provide support for the 2021-22 academic year for graduate students interested in conducting research in the general area of immersive reality use (augmented reality, mixed reality, virtual reality) or the intersection between immersive reality and machine learning. Under the direction of their regular advisors, awardees will be able to use Lab technology and expertise in the pursuit of their research. Students will be hired and paid by the Office of Student Research throughout the academic year for the total amount of their award. Recipients will be awarded $3000.
Applications for the Graduate Extended Reality Research Grant will be competitively evaluated by the OSR Awards Committee. The quality of the student research or creative activity (RCA) experience will be a determining factor in being selected. The number of awards depends on the budget and the funds available to the OSR each year.
Students must be in good academic standing, have a GPA of at least 3.0, and intend to register for a thesis or project as their culminating experience. The topic of their research must be related to immersive reality use (virtual reality, augmented reality, mixed reality, or related technologies). All disciplines are eligible.
All projects involving human subjects and/or vertebrate animals must submit proof of Institutional Review Board and/or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee approval as part of the application and/or prior to the release of funds.
As a condition of receiving the grant, awardees have the following obligations:
- Maintain a good standing in their graduate program.
- Present their progress toward their culminating experience to the Lab periodically
- Attend regular Lab meetings (typically, one hour/week) and Lab showcases.
- Contribute to the Lab public portfolio (e.g., record a video in which they overview their research conducted while working with the Lab)
- Present a poster or oral presentation during the Annual Symposium “Meeting of the Minds” scheduled for April 14th, 2022. The annual “Meeting of the Minds” allows all CSUSB students to showcase their research and creative activities to the campus community. Awardees of the OSR funding are obligated to participate by presenting both an oral and poster presentation. Awardees should submit their application by March 6th, 2022. More information about this annual event can be found at osr.csusb.edu.
- Although not a condition of receiving the grant, the awardees are also encouraged to consider designing research for publication during their Lab tenure and presenting their research-in-progress at conferences in their disciplines.
Application Opens: August 16th, 2021
Application Closes: September 30th, 2021