This scholarship is offered by the Extended Reality for Learning Lab at CSUSB (xREAL) is designed to provide support for spring 2020 for graduate students completing a thesis, project, or dissertation in the general area of immersive reality use. Under the direction of their regular advisors, awardees will additionally be able to use Lab technology and expertise in the pursuit of their research. The scholarship will be released as a student support payment, subject to the requirements below.
Applications for the Graduate Extended Reality Research Scholarship will be competitively evaluated by the OSR Awards Committee. The quality of the student research or creative activity (RCA) experience will be a determining factor in being selected. The number of awards depends on the budget and the funds available to the OSR each year.
Students must be in good academic standing, have a GPA of at least 3.0, at candidacy status, and be registered for a thesis or project as their culminating experience. The topic of their research must be related to immersive reality use (virtual reality, augmented reality, mixed reality, or related technologies). All disciplines are eligible
All projects involving human subjects and/or vertebrate animals must submit proof of Institutional Review Board and/or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee approval as part of the application and/or prior to the release of funds.
As a condition of receiving the scholarship awardees have the following obligations:
- Maintain a good standing in their graduate program;
- Present their progress toward their culminating experience to the Lab once a month, February to May 2020;
- Attend regular Lab meetings (typically, one hour/week) and Lab showcases;
- Contribute to the Lab public portfolio (e.g., record a video in which they overview their research conducted while working with the Lab)
- Present a poster or oral presentation during the Annual Symposium “Meeting of the Minds” scheduled for April 15th, 2021.
- The annual “Meeting of the Minds” allows all CSUSB students to showcase their research and creative activities to the campus community. Awardees of the OSR funding are obligated to participate by presenting both an oral and poster presentation. Awardees should submit their application by February 16th, 2021. More information about this annual event can be found at osr.csusb.edu.
Application Opens: TBA
Application Closes: TBA