Serve and engage communities (local, regional, state, national, global) to enhance social, economic and cultural well-being.
By 2017, identify and prioritize strategic opportunities for aligning community needs with appropriate university resources for mutual benefit.
- Incorporate faculty into the university structures that guide and implement community engagement, and provide increased staff support to the office of community engagement.
- Review and recommend adjustments to campus policies, procedures and structures to eliminate barriers and provide support to community engagement activities.
Increase the number of strategic community-university engagement activities by 2020.
- A baseline will be established as a result of strategies in objective 1. The percentage increase will be determined in relation to existing levels.
- By fall 2017, develop and implement support systems for faculty and staff efforts to document, obtain recognition, and gain informed evaluation of community-engaged scholarship and/or activities for the purposes of professional advancement.
- By fall 2017, significantly increase university funds to stimulate new community engagement initiatives and community-engaged research above current levels.
By 2020, build capacity to increase and sustain curricular and cocurricular service learning opportunities and/or community engagement activities.
- A baseline will be established as a result of strategy 2 under objective 1. The percentage increase will be determined in relation to existing levels.
- By fall 2017, significantly increase university funds to stimulate new curricular and co-curricular service learning activities.
By fall 2018, publicize CSUSB’s commitment to community engagement as a key component of the university’s culture and image with the establishment of a recognition and reward system for excellence in community engagement and collaborative work.
- By January 2017, develop a process to track and report how faculty, staff, administrators, and students are publicly engaged.
- By fall 2016, ensure all recruitment advertisements for faculty, staff and executive positions reflect the university’s commitment to community engagement.
- By 2020, establish mechanisms for the systematic public feedback on university’s engagement activities.