Fall and Winter Admissions are available.
- Have completed a four-year college degree program at an accredited institution with a 3.0 or above GPA for the last 60 semester or 90 quarter units. Students with 2.5 to 3.0 GPA may be admitted conditionally.
- Complete the online application at Cal State Apply
- Submit an application fee of $55.00
- Submit one (1) copy of official transcripts from all colleges and universities you attended.
In addition to the general requirements of the university, specific requirements for admission to classified graduate status are:
- A valid California Teaching Credential or related teaching experience;
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (“B”) in all courses taken in education, science and mathematics;
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your work history or educational background sent to the Program Coordinator
Students who do not meet these criteria may be admitted as conditionally classified graduate students. Change to classified standing can be made only with approval of the Department of Teacher Education & Foundations.
For more details, please refer to the Graduate Studies website.
Advancement to Candidacy
In order to be advanced to candidacy, a student must have:
- Achieved classified standing.
- Have met the Writing Requirement for Graduate Candidacy. (Students have submitted a paper(s) that received (s) a passing score according to the approved rubric) [attachment]
- Completed at least 24 units of course work.
- Between the time of completing 16 units and 24 units of applicable course work, the student is required to apply for advancement to candidacy.
- Filed an approved graduate program for completion of the degree. This must be prepared in consultation with a program advisor from the Department of Teacher Education and Foundations and the Dean of Graduate Studies.
Requirements for Graduation
- Completion of 44 units of required coursework in STEM education;
- A grade point average of 3.0 (“B”) in course work taken to satisfy the Master of Arts degree requirements and grades of “C” (2.0) or better in all courses in the program;
- Successful completion of A or B below:
- Masters Degree Thesis /Project Option ESTM 699: STEM Educations Masters Thesis/Project (4)
- Comprehensive Examination Option ESTM 999: Comprehensive Examination (0) and ESTM 628: The Integrated STEM Curriculum (4)