Why Create an Alternate Media Resource Page?
The alternate media production team has designed this page as an additional resource to keep our students abreast of new and innovative ways technology can be utilized to provide equal access to their course materials. Please note that as of the Spring 2016 quarter alternate media products will be provided in various formats making it possible for students to utilize Natural Reader, Jaws, Zoom Text and accessible apps via IOS and Android operating systems.
While we may not be able to discuss your specific needs until you have successfully completed the intake process, we are happy to answer any general questions regarding alternate media you may have. We invite students to contact the Services to Students with Disabilities Office should they have any questions or concerns regarding how the production process works, including the technology being used to provide accessible course materials to students receiving this accommodation.
Natural Reader 14
NaturalReader 14 is a text-to-speech software that can be used with Windows and Mac operating systems. Unlike other text to speech software programs Natural Reader has less robotic natural-sounding voices that can read any text such as Microsoft Word files, webpages, PDF files, and E-mails. Natural Reader also has the ability to convert the same text files into Mp3 and Wav audio files giving student access to their textbooks almost anywhere! You can download Natural Reader here.
SSD Introduction to Natural Reader Training Materials
The Alternate Media production team has comprised a list of apps that we believe will assist students with converting text images into accessible text, converting PDF files into accessible text files and Scanning files across various devices. These apps will work with Natural Reader which we hope will prove helpful for students receiving alternate media as an accommodation through the SSD Office. Please note that we are in no way affiliated with the companies that created these apps thus any problems with downloads or troubleshooting should be addressed with said company. If you have general questions on how to operate the apps listed below please feel free to contact the SSD Alternate Media production team and we will do our best to assist you.
Apple iOS Devices
The Prizmo Application is a photo-based scanner app that lets you scan and recognize text documents, business cards, and images, and then export them as PDF/Text, vCard, or JPEG/PNG. Prizmo relies on state-of-the-art technologies, like a highly accurate OCR, real-time page detection, and beautiful image cleanup. Using iCloud, you can even shoot the picture on your iPhone, and finish editing on your iPad or Mac. All of this in an elegant and intuitive user experience.
Prizmo is made for everyone, and is thus fully compatible with VoiceOver. It provides voice guidance to help position your iPhone when taking document pictures, and will find the text orientation automatically if it's turned left, right or upside down. Prizmo's quick capture mode provides a fast path from picture to speech synthesis for an improved workflow, and it provides a high-quality voice reader (individual voices available as in-app purchases).
There are 10 built-in languages in Prizmo (English, German, French, Italian...).an you can perform OCR in these languages as soon as Prizmo is installed. There are also 30 additional languages that can be used but must be downloaded first.
Please click on Prizmo to download it.
Text Fairy is an Optical Character Recognition app that is easy to use extremely easy! The highly accurate app allows you to scan text from images you take with your device making them accessible.
Please click on TextFairy to download it on your Android Device.
What the Text Fairy can do:
- Converts an image to text.
- Correct the viewpoint of an image.
- Edit extracted text.
- Copy extracted text into the clipboard for use in other apps.
- Convert the scanned page into PDF.
- Recognizes printed text from more than 50 languages.
- Have Android speak the text.
Please bear in mind that:
- Images must be sharp with good lighting.
- The app cannot read handwriting.
- Text must be black on a white background.
The Genius Scan app is basically a scanner in your pocket. This app allows you to quickly scan your documents on the go and export them as JPEG or multi-page PDF files. The Genius Scan technology includes smart page detection, perspective correction and image enhancement.
Please click on the following links to download Genius Scan:
- Detects page frame and corrects perspective
- Enhances the scan with color or black-and-white post-processing
- Emails the scans as JPG or PDF
- Creates PDF documents with multiple scans
- Export documents to any app supporting JPG or PDF files
- Documents are processed on the phone, not sent to a third-party server
Wondering how our users use Genius Scan?
- To quickly scan a form you just printed when you don’t have a scanner
- At the university, to take a picture of a whiteboard
- On the road, to archive receipts
- To make a copy when you have no copier available
- To archive handwritten notes or share them with colleagues
- Save the perfect recipe after cooking
- Save handwritten memos, or book pages for future reference
- Share a good restaurant menu on Twitter
Many new features in this update:
- A magnifying glass to adjust precisely the document border
- PDF files that you export can now be protected with a password
- Smart Document Names allow automatic document naming with flexibility
- Tags help you organize and find documents efficiently
- A passcode lock to keep your scans safe
- A document merge feature